will iLife '07 bring a new app?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wmmk, Nov 8, 2006.

1. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

what are we thinking? i know that this is certainly on the minds of many potential MacBook buyers who don't want to go to Leopard right when it comes out.

2. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I'm a little confused by what you are trying to say. Is iLife and iLife 07' different? Are you assuming that since Leopard is coming out soon that most people won't want to spend the extra money on it and that if they add a new App to iLife that it won't run under Tiger? I don't think that will be the case at all.

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Maybe the OP means iWork and iLife 07

4. wmmk thread starter macrumors 68020

wmmk

oops, that is certainly what i meant

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

My guess, there is a chance iWork 07 will include the long-rumored Spreadsheet app

6. wmmk thread starter macrumors 68020

wmmk

yeah. that'd be nice. i just thought to myself that iWork doesn't come free on all macs, so I'll have to buy that anyway (I'm ditching office when I go intel).

7. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I don't think iWork comes free on any Macs, does it? You'd think us MP buyers would at least get a copy. :rolleyes:

8. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

Sorry for the misunderstanding :). I probably would have gotten that if I had of been paying more attention and not doing so many things at once.

I am certainly hoping for the addition of a spreadsheet program to iWork. I don't see a new app for iLife, but I do hope iWeb gets heavily updated. It is a great start but still has a long ways to go IMO.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Until iWork has a spreadsheet App it isn't a complete office suite, with iWork 07 hopefully Apple will bundle it.

10. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

iWork '07 and iLife '07 will almost certainly be released before Leopard, so they'll have to run on Tiger. As for a new app, I don't think we'll see a new one in iLife as iWeb was new in '06, but iWork kind of deserves a new app I think. If they release a good upgrade to Pages and a new spreadsheet app, I'll at least buy it, and may mostly switch from Office (although I quite like Office actually).

11. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I would like to see iLife get a new app like iWork. Perhaps an animation app to bring animation using 10.5's core Animation to the masses that integrates with the other apps. It is almost certain that iWork will get a spreadsheet. Perhaps a database by 2009.

12. wmmk thread starter macrumors 68020

wmmk

actually, a flash type thing to go with iWeb would be rather neat. that or forum creation in iWeb, but that'd probably only work for .mac users.

13. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

I think that iWork 07 will have to have something big in it. Since Microsoft will be releasing a new Office in late 2007, iWork will be out before it and will ahve to have something that will get people to buy it over Office. It would be a hard sell for me, sorry Apple. I just don't think they can get me a way from Excel.

14. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

They need to add the ability to make an actual blog using iWeb in .mac.

I'd guess no new iLife apps, given the lack of rumors. Hopefully just solid improvements to all the components, especially iWeb and iPhoto. I'd love to see more functions in iPhoto to bring it closer to say Elements functionality.

15. FriendoftheEnd macrumors newbie

Based on the previous announcements of iLife (06, 05 etc) anyone know if Apple usually releases the latest version right after announcing it. I can't personally recall how it usually went about. Basically what I'm wondering is if there is a regular trend to when iLife is released after it is announced. Does it vary widely each year?

(wondering if I should hold out an extra few weeks to pick up a new MBP if that'd mean I'd get the latest iLife :rolleyes: )

16. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

It's released the same day it's announced (like nearly all Apple products). If you buy a new Mac even 5 minutes after the MWSF keynote is over, you'll get a free copy of iLife '07, although you may have to pay shipping and handling. That's assuming iLife '07 is released at MWSF of course, but it'd be a big surprise if it wasn't.

17. thugpoet22 macrumors regular

Its quite evident that apple with release updates to both the ILife apps and Iwork. Apps within ILife, IWeb for example should be improved. Allowing for HTML, CSS and JavaScript rendering. The drap and drop aspect is simple and great but it shouldn't be the only way. I dont really use the other ILife apps besides Iphoto and Itunes and they seem alright to me. I would agree in saying that a spread sheet app is long over due and it will probably be added Iwork. But if they do create that app, then apple will have to support the fact that Iwork is their office suit. And this in turn will spark a battle between two popular office programs. But how cool would it be if apple was to also include a database program bundled with Iwork. Most people dont want to shell out money for filemaker even though it is a great app. Ya know sometimes i wonder if Jobs or any of the apple big shots ever read these post to get ideas on what the public wants. It would be cool to openly know that they do check these forms out and take our ideas into consideration.