Will iLife 07 sell out quickly?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cbrain, Dec 30, 2006.

1. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

Hi.

I am assuming iLife 07 will be released on the sixth of Janurary. I have no Apple Retail Store which is particulary near. The closest is shefield (U.K). I'm wanting to travel up and get iLife 07 the day it is released. My question is, will it sell out quickly? I don't really want to travel all the way down to shefield to find that it has sold out. So is it worth going on a 1 and half hour-2 hour journey to shefield, or do you think iLife '07 will have sold out?

Thanks in advance.

2. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

First of all, I don't think it will get released until after the Keynote which is on the 9th I believe. Second, is iLife really that worth it to go get it the minute it is released? It will probably sell very well at the beginning sure, why not wait a little longer if there is a possibility it won't be there right away.

3. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

iLife will not be released until after the Keynote on the 9th. Jobs will go over some of the new features and then announce that it is "shipping immediately". As for selling out, I don't know offhand how well-stocked the actual Apple Stores are - I've only ever bought mine online (iLife 06) or had it pre-installed (iLife 05).

4. Irish Dave macrumors regular

I'm sure there will be sufficient stocks :) :)

Dave :)

5. buffalo macrumors 65816

You can always call and ask if they could set aside a copy. They did that with my nano (1G) when they were released. Not sure if they do that for software but its worth a call.

6. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Not a bad idea. It's not like iLife 07 is some super top secret piece of software which Apple denies the existence of. ;) Unlike the octo-core Mac Pros which you might have some trouble reserving in advance, a copy of iLife 07 shouldn't be a huge problem. ;)

7. buffalo macrumors 65816

Actually, I was chatting with the online Apple support people about whether it would be possible to get a copy of iLife '07 when it was released if I bought a refurb MacBook now. The dude said he had no knowledge of future Apple releases so he couldn't help me.

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Bah! Them and their canned responses.... As I said, you think for something like iLife they could at least bend the rules - it's not like you're inquiring about the new touch screen iPod. ;) But, I suppose they have their marching orders, lest they feels SJ's wrath... :eek:

9. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

If you were planning to order it online you will be able to do so right after the Keynote. If you were planning to pick it up at a store call the store after it's announced and ask them to hold a copy for you.

10. NoCleverSNForMe macrumors regular

Best answer to your question. Listen to emptycup.

If Steve announces any product that is shipping "today" or soon, it will be available for order or pre-order immediately from the online store. If it is shipping today, it's likely that most Apple stores will have it by the 10th. Call your local Apple stores, ask them to hold a copy for you, and waltz (literally) in there to get your copy.

I am actually waiting to purchase my computer on the 9th just so I can get iLife '07 pre-installed on my machine.

11. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

if they release iLife at MWSF then like all things Apple, i'm sure it will sell out.

12. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I don't recall iLife 06 ever actually selling out though, even right after it was released? Or does someone know otherwise?

13. katad macrumors newbie

Will i-life be included with 10.5?

Noticed it was included with my macbook install CDs, so would it be included with the retail version of 10.5 when it comes out?

14. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

iLife will only come on the OS X install disc if you buy a Mac. Otherwise it comes on its own CD or as a download.

15. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

It only comes with your newly purchased Mac. OS X does not come with it's own iLife.

16. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

While I was working for Apple, we never had problems with the stocks of iLife, even on release. Not *that* many people rush in to get it on the first day. 300 copies probably wouldn't leave even the larger stores.

17. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I'm not sure which iLife release it was, but one of them and the iWork release the same year did not come out exactly at keynote time, but were instead released later in the month of January. This may have been due to feature problems or to tie them in with a hardware release, I'm not sure. So don't count on it being released that day.

Also, I'd call in advance to make sure the store has them in-stock as sometimes Steve announces stuff but the shipment hasn't actually gotten to the stores yet.

18. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

if it's like almost everything else that Apple sells, some stores will get their initial shipments before other stores, and some stores will sell out of their initial shipments faster than others, and some will get restocked faster than the others..........so good luck!

19. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

why such a need to have it immediately? Why not order online the day it's released and wait the whole week or so for it to ship? I mean I don't think iLife is worth a 2 hour drive to the store. Heck I don't think leopard will be worth a 2 hour drive.

20. shellbryson macrumors 6502

shellbryson

Hmmm my new Mac Pro was shipped a few days ago, delivery on the 9th. I'm wondering what version of iLife that will have with it... I *hope* 07. It'd be crap if I have to buy an upgrade the day it arrives!

21. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

Maybe Im really behing the times here, but has there been any announcement as to new features in 07?

22. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Nope, none that I'm aware of at least. I guess Mr. Jobs was tell us one way or the other on the 9th. I'll be more interested to see if a spreadsheet app gets added to the iWork suite - I'm not expecting anything ground-breaking with respect to the iLife suite. this year, especially with the addition of iWeb last year.

23. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I'm thinking you might be disappointed – they likely won't be putting iLife 07 into boxes until after the product is actually announced. Of course, you're not forced to buy the upgrade there and then – wait and see what's announced and whether the new features justify buying the newer version.

24. shellbryson macrumors 6502

shellbryson

I know, I know :) Free upgrade maybe. Call me hopelessly optomistic. It's a new year and everything ;)

25. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

Leopard is worth a 7 hour plane ride...

well maybe not but it's definitely worth a 2 hour drive :cool: