will installing ram void my applecare

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by tristan123, Jul 13, 2005.

1. tristan123 macrumors newbie

i just bought myself a new powerbook and i am planning on installing 1g of extra ram. i just wanted to know whether applecare will still cover my powerbook because i heard that they will only cover the computer if if you install certain types of ram. if this is true, what kind of ram is supported by applecare. thanks in advance for the help.

2. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

3. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Installing RAM will in no way void Applecare... It's a user-replaceable part.

There is no real applecare-safe RAM, as it is all Applecare safe...

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Applecare will only cover the RAM you got from Apple with the original machine order. Apple will not guarantee any extra RAM that you install.

If you install extra RAM, that RAM will be covered by the RAM v endor's warranty, which is usually lifetime. It will not void your Applecare (unless you do something to damage your machine of course). I would recommend however to remove your additional RAM prior to sending or taking the machine to Apple for any warranty work.

I recommend that you choose a reputable RAM vendor who tests and guarantees compatibility with your specific model of Mac.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Edit-- sorry, nothing to see here -- double post

6. tristan123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot for clearing that up for me. i guess the clerck at the store was just trying to convince me to buy their ram.