iPad Will iOS 7 and 7.1 be compatible with the iPad 3? What about iOS 8+

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Apple-Fanboy, Jan 13, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

I got a iPad 3 White WiFi with 64GB of internal storage for just $499 new (there was a special deal going on in retail stores only), and I was wondering if I will be able to get iOS 7 or 7.1 on it when it comes out. Most people have said that they would be very surprised if it didn't, but I'm just wondering.

However, I have a feeling it won't be compatible with iOS 8 and up which is not bad; I mean iOS 6.0.1 is already great, and iOS 7 is probably going to be awesome, so there's no reason I should be upset actually if either of those don't come out, but it's just out of curiosity.

2. macrumors G3

Kilamite

Yes, it will. Apple doesn't cut out devices that are only a few months old from the next iOS iteration.

iOS 8 will too I'm sure.

3. macrumors 604

iOS7 definately will. iOS8 most likely will, although it may have some features with-held :)

4. macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

I'm 90% sure the iPad 2 will be seeing iOS 7. The iPad 3 definitely will. It will also likely see iOS 8.

5. macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

Yeah, they are still selling iPad 2's and we are at iOS 6 at the moment. So iPad 2's should still see iOS 7, so I think it's save that the 3rd generation iPad will see iOS 7, and most features in iOS 8 if not all.

6. macrumors 6502

Mess

As above. Yes.

7. macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Yes, it will see it.

Ironically, a lot of people here said the reason for the 1st iPad didn't get iOS 6 was because Apple wasn't selling it anymore; the same stupid argument can be made to the iPad 3 (Apple isn't selling it, so it isn't supporting it).

Aside with playing Devil's Adocate, iPad 3 will get iOS 7.

8. macrumors 601

Wondering what? People can only speculate and go on history. A lot of speculation doesn't become fact.

9. macrumors member

Tim Cook's profit margin approach will make iOS 7 the last it will ever get. Or possibly 6.x.

10. macrumors 68040

Dwalls90

Should it? Yes. Will it? Who knows.

I think the only real iOS devices to get screwed with iOS updates are the first or second of each generation. Seeing as they're still selling the iPad 2, I would fully expect that to get updates until iOS 7 and likely iOS 8.

11. macrumors newbie

Hi

Where did you buy your iPad 3? You got a great deal. Please email me at: ryan.gitzen7@gmail.com

12. macrumors 6502

iOS 7 will certainly work, iOS 8 will install but features will be crippled.. no biggie!

13. macrumors 65816

A simple visit to http://www.apple.com/ios/ios7/features/ will help. :cool:

iOS 8 will probably still support iPad 2 since the mini is still new and uses the exact same processor. And the iPad mini for sure will support iOS 8

14. macrumors P6

By the way, this thread is from 6 months ago.

15. macrumors 6502

Apple decisions to support products aren't tech based, but time based

I've been with them since before the Mac existed, it's always been the case

16. macrumors P6

For the most part, with iOS at least, it's mostly been based on what is still officially being sold by Apple at the time of announcement/release of a particular update. That said, a lot of times there are also additional explanations for something not being supported due to technical reasons--something not being there in iPhone 4 hardware to support Siri, not enough hardware power for the original iPad to support iOS 6 (and beyond), etc.

17. macrumors 6502

(Not exclusively time based, but many times products have not been supported not because of tech reasons - but end of support life as defined by Apple.)

For instance my Mac Pro from 2006 is not supported by Apple to run Mountan Lion. Yet I run it with zero probs (had to hack a tiny bit) and others already have Mavericks working fine on it! :)

18. macrumors regular

No need to speculate on iOS 7, scroll to the bottom of this page, but note the fine print

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios7/features/

regarding iOS 8, like others have stated, it's too soon to tell

19. macrumors P6

Again, the original question and most of the thread was from January this year, when pretty much no (official) information about iOS 7 was available.

20. macrumors regular

Missed that it was from January, thanks

21. macrumors 6502a

I think iOS 8 will support everything but the iPad 2 and iPhone 4. Everything else but with a bit of limited support, and everything

22. macrumors 604

cynics

Regardless of thread age. There really isn't a good reason it won't get iOS 7, I doubt Apple will burn iPad 3 owners that bad. The only hold up with the 3 isn't its inability to play games with full effects like the iPad 2 and 4 can.

The OS itself doesn't need that sort of processing power. Game devs will just continue to cripple games per device.

23. macrumors 65816

Wait, what? What is this game with full effects that the 2 and 4 can that the 3 can't you speak of?
    First I am hearing.

24. macrumors 68040

The iPad 3 won't get iOS 8 because upon its release it was under powered--that's why the iPad 4 came out so soon after. The decision to upgrade a device is based upon whether the hardware can provide a good experience and I'm afraid the iPad 3 stutters even on iOS 6. I'm an iPad 3 owner btw.

It will definitely get iOS 7 though so its good for another year.

25. macrumors P6

It's somewhat hard to say if that will be the case or not. Given that iPad 3 is still a fairly recently released iPad, you never know. I guess we'll see when iOS 8 is announced/released.