Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 21, 2010
And if so, will I be able to do the OTA update to my phone that has the beta 5 on it? Or will I have to go the reset/restore route?

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
iOS8 will be OTA for people on the release cycle.

Not from beta.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Nope. never OTAs for beta versions.

There have been, I checked. (also, I edited my post to say 7.1 before I saw your reply, sorry)

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/18863382/

More comments like that in the thread.

The caveat was that it was the full image rather than a delta, but it was still OTA.

Obviously it's no guarantee that it'll be the same case for 8.0, but you might as well wait and see, if you find OTA easier and you're not in a rush!

Last edited:

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 21, 2010
Sure? I might be wrong but I thought in iOS 7.1 you could upgrade from beta to public release OTA.

I'm pretty sure I updated OTA from the last iOS 7 beta to the public release. I'm hoping I can do the same with iOS 8, since I can't do a backup from beta 5 and will have to restore a 45 day old backup otherwise.

eark555

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2013
I'm pretty sure I updated OTA from the last iOS 7 beta to the public release. I'm hoping I can do the same with iOS 8, since I can't do a backup from beta 5 and will have to restore a 45 day old backup otherwise.
If you can't OTA you can download ipsw and update by iTunes.

markyr17

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2010
Either way, this discussion is kind of pointless. Anybody who has the iOS 8 Beta now has access to the GM (which IS the final release of the software.) They would have updated to the GM by now, and would be on the official cycle. You can update in iTunes without having to lose all of your data on your phone.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Either way, this discussion is kind of pointless. Anybody who has the iOS 8 Beta now has access to the GM (which IS the final release of the software.) They would have updated to the GM by now, and would be on the official cycle. You can update in iTunes without having to lose all of your data on your phone.

The reason it was observed more easily for the 7.1 release is because there was no 'GM' in between the last beta and the public OTA update, so all devs were on a beta, expecting to have to use iTunes, and OTA was a surprise.

Because there is a GM for 8.0, it means there's not a direct comparison so hard to know what to expect. This discussion might be pointless but I'm still interested to see if 'devs' who haven't update to GM can update OTA tomorrow :)

Shaqq

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2014
Hopefully tomorrow because since there's so many issues some people are having with iOS 8 there might be a update tomorrow for iOS 8.0.1 hopefully.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 21, 2010
You can't go from beta channel to release channel OTA. I don't believe this has ever happened.

Just wanted all to know that I successfully did an OTA update from beta 5 to the public release. I can finally run a backup. Hooray!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.