Will iPad come out of the box with any battery charge?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by carrerascott, Apr 1, 2010.

1. macrumors regular

I couldn't find an answer searching. Does anyone know if the iPad will come with some charge? Or will it be dead out of the box and need to be plugged in right away? Just curious...thanks.

2. macrumors demi-god

GeekLawyer

The post is coming from inside the house!
    In my experience, Apple products come with some level of charge. iPhones, iPods, MacBooks, etc. Should be good to go out of the box (for a while).

3. macrumors regular

Other apple products come with a charge. Usually about 1/2-3/4. I don't think anyone knows for sure about the iPad.

4. macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

Most battery-powered electronics come with some charge these days. Part of the QA process before it is packaged. If the device sits long enough, it may lose its charge, depending on the type of battery.

5. macrumors G3

The iPhones and iTouches come with a charge, so will the iPads.

6. macrumors 6502

I'm assuming it is going to be ok to plug the thing into an outlet and play with it while it's charging (like iPhone).

7. macrumors member

Doesn't it affect battery life in the long run if you don't fully charge it before using it those first few times?

I remember most electronics like cell phones etc tell you to plug it in and charge it fully before first use.

Am I completely wrong here?

8. macrumors G3

Hop on over the the iPhone section and read one of the many battery threads.

9. macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/5.0.17405/1114; U; en) Presto/2.4.15)

Lithium ion or lithium polymer batteries don't car of you fully charge first or not. These types of batteries don't have a memory as nicads or nimh do.

10. macrumors regular

Wrong.

Lithium batteries are charged to 50% at the factory since this is the "storage" level. It's POSSIBLE Apple ordered the initial batches to be charged to 90-100% knowing they wouldn't be on the "shelf" long.

The initial charge is important for lithium batteries. Plug it in when you get it and charge it for 3-4 hours (you can use it during this time). After that, recharge as often as it's convenient (draining them before charging isn't good). If that's not confusing enough, drain them completely then charge them completely every month or two for best battery performance.

For my iPhone, I charge it every night and I NEVER need to recharge during the day and they last the entire year without any noticeable reduction in storage capacity. I replace them when new models come out (the people I give them to get at least another year out of the battery no problem).

Edit: Read: http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

11. macrumors newbie

Will iPad come out of the box with any battery charge?

We ordered an iPAD over the internet from Apple. It arrived 4 days after we ordered it (it came from China) and it had 97% charge in it when we opened the box. Cheers,

12. .Asa, Jul 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2013

macrumors regular

Bump?!?
    Every new apple product I have opened had ~2/3 charge out of the box.

13. macrumors 6502a

yes my sister bought one at the apple store and it was already charged right out the box

14. macrumors 68020

kazmac

^This has been my experience with every iPad I've owned.

iPhones and any Mac laptop I tried all had at least 94% or higher charges when I unboxed them.

15. 2IS
    macrumors 68030

Every i-device I've purchased over the years has had around 70% charge.

16. macrumors member

BerlingerT

Yes. My iPad Mini and iPhone 4 both had a pretty decent charge right out of the box.

17. macrumors regular

Yes my ipad4 came with 80 percent charge.i just topped it off

18. macrumors 6502a

Pakaku

Old thread is old.

19. macrumors G3

I know right. It's not like people are still buying iPads.

20. macrumors 65816

Every device with a battery (Apple or not) that I got in the past several years always had charge. Lots actually.