Will iPhone 5 Get Scratches Using A Case with Exposed Top & Bottom

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by beeinformed, Dec 30, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

2. macrumors 65816

RichardC300

The phone has a chance of getting scratched wherever it is exposed. And depending on the case, the phone has a chance of getting scratched by the case or by particles between the case and the phone.

So the answer to your question is...most likely.

3. macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

I'm using a case that exposes both the top and bottom of the phone. So far its holding quite well and I don't notice any dings or scratches. It also depends on your usage I guess, I always put it in my pocket that doesn't have anything else so the chances of scratching are near zero.

4. thread starter macrumors 6502

Which case you using?

5. macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

6. thread starter macrumors 6502

I just wanted to add to my original post that these two cases that I have for my phone, I will put into a larger case that I have used in the past for other phones I've owned.

7. macrumors 6502a

Yes, if it gets in contact with sufficient force against another object that is harder than its coating.

8. Guest

falconeight

Yes and it doesn't need force. Just having it in the pocket will result in scratches on any exposed part.

9. macrumors 601

There are no guarantees in life. If you don't want scratches then minimize exposed areas and look for cases that won't let grit slip in.

A pocket isn't going to scratch anything. If it does you're wearing the wrong pants. A material has to be harder than another material to scratch. Sand and other hard particles in the pocket can, however, cause scratches.