Will it be necessary to buy new applications to fully utilize new intel macs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kmarketing, Jun 13, 2006.

1. kmarketing macrumors 6502

Mar 26, 2004

Things with my current setup (I also just got a powerbook 12" 1.33) are doing fine, but of course its always in the back of my mind to move up to the new macbook/macbook pro line.

I was wondering though. For the current software that I have - adobe creative suite, office, traktor dj, etc. Will I have to get the updated software (for ex. CS3) to really utilize the power of the new machines, or will there be some type of firmware or hardware improvement that will allow me to run my current software at a faster speed. The reason I ask is that many have said that for some of the older applications the intel macs don't run as fast/well as the older PPC machines.

In other words, if I move to the intel macs does that mean I will have to ultimately invest in newer software?

Can you please clarify that for me?
  2. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    Have to? No. Want to? Yes.

As more vendors release apps written to take advantage of the newer architecture, you'll want to upgrade. I'm sure most of them will also throw in a few new features as well, just to sweeten the pot.

As for some apps running more slowly - this could be the case, depending on how new your current system is. I upgraded from a 1GHz TiBook to a 2GHz MBP, and let me tell you - no application I run on the MBP is slower than it was on the TiBook. Some are almost as slow, since the apps aren't optimized, so if you were running a last gen G4, then you may indeed see some slowdown.