Will it cost anything for Tiger users to upgrade to Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 758, Nov 21, 2006.

1. 758 macrumors newbie

I'm pretty new to Mac (I have only had my MacBook for 3 months now) so I have never went through any of the new release cycles for Mac. So I was just wondering if it is going to cost us tiger users anything to upgrade to leopard? I am thinkin not since it is just an upgrade...sort of like sp2 for windows i guess. But im just checking.

2. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

Yes. Something less than $150 (I hope).
    SP2 was a minor revision of the existing OS like going from 10.4.n to 10.4.n+1. Leopard is a new operating, like Vista.

3. 758 thread starter macrumors newbie

ahhhh, i see.
    Then why are they still calling it OS X? Wouldnt it be OS XI (or whatever 11 is). Or are they still calling it OS X because it is still using that same Mach Kernel and they have just changed the applications it comes with and such?

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

THe general idea is that you have to pay for each full-point upgrade (usually $129, it seems), i.e. from 10.2>10.3>10.4, but all the intermediate upgrades are free. Each full-point upgrade has additional "major" features - though some are less "major" than others.

5. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

It will be called OS X, version 10.5 (Tiger is 10.4). I am sure there are some changes to the core programing like supporting 64 bit but the most noticeable and publicized changes are to the apps. Take a look at the "preview": http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/index.html

6. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

It's unclear why they decided to go with 10.0, 10.1, 10.2, etc... instead of 10, 11, 12, etc... I assume there's some good marketing reason.

7. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

Then they couldn't keep calling it OS X. "OS X" is so damn sleek and cool. Could you see a CD/DVD with "XI" across it? "XIV"? forget it. They like the "X."

8. knackroller macrumors regular

knackroller

It really sucks to have to pay for these minor upgrades. Still looks like the same OS to me. And I thought one of the marketing points of Apple is that all the major "apps" come free.

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

There's nothing forcing you to upgrade if you don't want to pay.

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

After they spent all that money marketing OS X and fighting off the naming rights with that other company, it is easier to brand the OS and spend less on selling the newest greatest OS every year that changes names.

11. knackroller macrumors regular

knackroller

That's very true. I've not upgraded since I bought my machine (10.2), and it still works well.

12. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

the previews for Leopard aren't very promising. nothing is jumping out at me as a reason for a must-have upgrade. but i do like to have the latest and greatest software (and technology in general) so i'll likely upgrade.

perhaps they'll even lower the price from $129 to $99 to further intice people to switch from Windows to Mac/make Windows Vista look bad (it's supposed to cost hundreds even for the most basic version). i'm just dreaming out loud here...

13. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Or perhaps a discount for switchers only...;) :D

14. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

We've seen bugger all of Leopard. WWDC showed just a handful of features, the developer builds are still very young and there are months of development left on the OS - assuming a March/April release (any earlier would be stupid) and MWSF is going to provide us with a really big preview of 10.5.

I wouldn't go basing any impressions of Leopard on what we've been shown so far.

15. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Wise words me thinks!

16. 0010101 macrumors regular

You know.. Apple has kind of adopted the 'OSX' name.. sort of the way Microsoft has called their operating system 'Windows'.

My best guess is that Apple doesn't just jump to OS11, OS12, etc because if they did that they'd be on something like MacOS 34 or something by now.

But it's also undoubtedly a marketing ploy.. 'OSX' just kind of rolls off the tongue.

17. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Just the same as OS Nine, OS Eight etc did, OS Ten (and it is "Ten" not "Ex") is just another number. We'll see OS Eleven soon enough although Apple may adopt a new non-numeric name such as Microsoft did when they stopped naming their version of Windows after the release year - things are outdated very quickly when they have the year in the title.

18. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Given how expensive Vista is, and given that you can't run OS X on a non-mac, I can't see any reason for Apple to offer it for a lower price to lure switchers. I hope there are a few more unannounced features, but I'm not sure that we haven't seen most of it. $129 for a reasonably good upgrade isn't bad, especially as others have pointed out that it's pretty easy to skip an upgrade or two, going from say 10.2 to 10.4 or 10.3 to 10.5.

19. 0010101 macrumors regular

Well whatever floats your boat.

I'll keep calling it 'ohh es ex' and upon occasion even use 'lye nux'.. wash my 'jag-war' once a week, and cook my potatoes in the oven wrapped in 'ah-loo-ma-num' foil.

Yea, I know the 'proper' way to say the Roman numeral 'X' is 'ten', but I haven't worn my toga or sandals in years.

20. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Well, Steve calls it "OS Ten" and seeing as it's his product I'll call it that.

As for your "Jag-wahr," "Lye Nux" and "Ah-loo-min-um" foil references I don't get it, do Americans actually say "Lye nux" instead of "linux''??

21. jhu macrumors 6502a

jhu

however, you'll notice that the progression has been os 7, os 8, os 9, and os x. not os 10. they went from arabic numerals to roman numerals. what would they call the next real successor to os x, os 11 or os xi? i'll be they call the next one "os x 11.x.x" since there's already so much mindshare in the term "os x"

as for those other pronunciations, they're american pronunciations. although every once in a while i like to slip into british pronunciation of things over here. i get weird looks that way. and then i get labeled as a terrorist for spelling things such as "colour" and "judgement", but i digress

22. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

This is exactly why I think Apple's marketing decision wasn't the best idea. 10.3 -> 10.4 had a similar degree of changes to 8->9, but because it's "minor", people think of it as equivalent to a windows service pack.

23. Felin macrumors newbie

Have they offered the student discount to OS upgrades in the past?

24. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Yes...I've always noticed it to be 69 dollars US. I suspect that they'll do it again.

25. Felin macrumors newbie

Wow that's quite a discount. I was asking because when I tried to find the price of 10.4 on the store it says that the item is not on the store.