will it work???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iwamas, May 15, 2006.

1. iwamas macrumors member

I have lost the OSX installation cds of my PB... will the ones from my MBP work on a Powerbook?

2. Subiklim macrumors 6502

I doubt it. The OEM install disks are model specific.

3. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I disagree.

My iMac G5 discs would most definitely not work on my PowerBook and iBook. The discs are machine specific, especially the newer machines' discs.

:edit: beaten by Subiklim

4. iwamas thread starter macrumors member

so there is no diference in the osx for ppc and intel mbp?

5. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

6. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

It is going back a bit but i have OS 9 install discs that i can install on iMacs, Powermacs, ibooks and powerbooks. That is the only reason why i said should do. With the transition to Intel, I'm not sure if that made a difference.

7. Ripmax2000 macrumors regular

Before, Apple would give you model specific recovery Cd's and OS cd's. However, they stopped doing this some time back, now they only give model specific recovery discs.
    If 100% will not work.

Sorry.

8. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

All through Apple's history of restore CDs, there have always been some that are model specific, some that arent, and some that will work on some other machines but not others.

For example, the iBook Firewire restore CD will work in a Blue & White G3, but not a PowerBook G3 Wallstreet.

It's always a hit or miss.

Although, I imagine if you have an Intel restore CD it likely wouldn't work on a PowerPC Mac.

9. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

The way I see it, is that you have two problems. First problem most the time a recovery disc from one machine does not necessarly work on another, as stated before. There are differences in the hardware that will not let you do it. Unless you have a regular OSX install disc.

The second problem you are facing is that there was a major change in processor architecture from PPC to Intel. If you only have restore discs from a MBP. I strongly believe that those restore disc will not work with your PB.

On the other hand you can always give it a shot and see what happens!

(sorry, about the spelling I'm on a pc, no spell check build into the browser)

10. iwamas thread starter macrumors member

new problem

found the cds but when trying to boot up with it.... the computer goes crazy..... a big power sign comes on with the text telling me to hold down the power kwy for a few seconds to reboot and all this random text seems to scroll all over the screen and then the thing freezes.... I reboot and the same thing keeps happening... what can I do.... I want to do a clean install...

11. tristan macrumors 6502a

Umm... I used my AlBook Panther CDs on my old TiBook last November.