Will iTunes hurt my 5GB iPod?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by sjjordan, Nov 17, 2003.

1. sjjordan macrumors 6502

I just bought a 5 GB iPod (PC version) from powermax, and just today saw a post by many people concerning their ipods being corrupted by the iTunes for Windows software.

The post is here:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?128@138.is4taud9jxy.2637567@.599c2873

I haven't received the iPod yet, but when I do, do you think I should be careful? I obviously don't want to fry it. Will the fact that it's already formatted for windows stop any problems emerging?

Thanks.

2. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i think the jury is still out on this. but the original 5gb was intented only for Mac so... if your iPod is already FAT32 formatted, then i *think* it will work, more often than not.

no gurantees though, make sure to keep a backup of your songs...

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

The dude is trying to use an original, Mac only, iPod on his PC. That's why it won't work w/iTunes on his PC. He's trying to use his iPod on unsupported hardware.

He rigged up the iPod to work in a way it was not designed to work in and now he's mad because his end-around doesn't work any more.

Lethal

4. sjjordan thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Jxyama,

I bought it actually as a Christmas present for a family member. I am pretty worried that it'll be received in great joy, updated (if needs be), and then crash.....when used with iTunes for Windows.

5. unc32 macrumors regular

if it is a windows iPod then it will work. The Mac ipod will not work with iTunes for Windows. All the dude needs to do is reformat his ipod as a windows ipod. He is just a complainer that doesn't think things through. It is a simple solution, just reformat and retransfer over the music.

6. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

jesus christ how arrogant are you, on average mac users are far more intelligent make allowances for those less theqniquely able