Will iTV be useless without an HDTV?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by hikeNM, Sep 18, 2006.

1. hikeNM macrumors 6502a

I love the idea of the iTV, but I don't own an HD TV. Will I just be SOL when it's released unless I buy an HD television?

Thanks

2. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

I'm wondering the same, although I already planned buying an HDTV for quite some time, so this would give me the needed push to finally go out and buy one, if I needed to.

3. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

i severly doubt it. i'm sure it'll look fine on an SDTV but really shine on HD...

4. MattDell macrumors 6502

MattDell

But it doesn't even have the right hookups for an SDTV.

5. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

Well, it has:
    Power
    USB 2.0
    Ethernet
    HDMI
    Component
    Stereo audio
    Optical audio

I don't see how you would connect it to an SDTV.

6. hikeNM thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think it would be a huge mistake by Apple to make it HD only. I know, I know, HD wave of future, blah, blah, blah(not that anybody here is saying that, but I'm sure that's what Apple would say).

I would type in my CC number the instant it was available if I could use it on my regular TV.

I don't mean to be pissy about this, just blowing off some steam.

7. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

In yesterday's store flyers, I noticed that HDTV sets still cost about 10x the SD variety. Apple will have noticed that too.

In the past, I'd have fully expected them to ignore the mainstream and do HD only, but today's Apple with their $79 iPods and "Windows? No problem!" attitude won't likely limit themselves to a boutique audience like that.
    Right now, it depends on how they implement component video.

8. hikeNM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hey, I know! They could make them like the iPods and make a cable, with RCA plugs,made specifically for the iTV so I could plunk another $30 down!

9. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

A lot of SD-TV's come with Component video inputs for DVD players. My 27" Sony TV that I bought years ago came with component video inputs and it was SD... granted I have an HD TV now but... just looked online at Best Buy.com and they had an Insignia 27" SD-TV with component for $236.

I'm not advocating buying a new TV but there are SD-TV's with component inputs... I've not really even heard of Insignia so I'm sure the majors are putting component on their TV's.

10. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

Is there really a large market share of people who will spend ~$299 for iTV that won't spend $500-700 for a HDTV?

11. hikeNM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, that's interesting to know!

This may be a stupid question, but are there adapters made for this situation? I mean, could you run wires from the iTV through some kind of adapter and then to the TV?

Also, to show my ignorance even more, are component the yellow, white, and red cables?

12. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

13. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

But what would they call it? It'd be almost like a normal Mac but... mini...

:p

Yeah I know interface and outputs... :)

14. mox358 macrumors 6502

mox358

The way I understood the keynote, they're positioning it as more of a companion to your DVD player, not a replacement. I'm no one special, this isn't the gospel, but thats *my* impression from what Jobs said.

15. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

They would be crippling sales in many other markets (eg the UK) because of the small penetration of HDTVs..

Of course in Europe the simple inclusion of a component -> scart lead would solve any issues there.

16. Macnoviz macrumors 65816

Macnoviz

I don't know about America, but every television in Belgium comes with component.
    Plus, at the current resolution, your videos won't take advantage of the higher resolution.

17. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

This is the first Apple product I just don't get. Having this would basically be the same as having the iPod only play iTMS bought songs... who would buy that?
    Why not spend $200 more and get a Mac mini that can actually play everything?

18. jdechko macrumors 68040

Right, component doesn't necessarily equal High Definition or even progressive scan. Component just says how the picture is encoded and transmitted, not how it's displayed on the TV. There is an interlaced variant of the component as well as a progressive.

It could be a Component Mult-out port, like what you'd likely find on a graphics card. My X850 has component/S-Vid/Composite all out of the same port, there's just different adapters for it.

19. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Sure! I doubt that my parents would go out and get an HDTV, because to make good use of it would entail quadrupling their recurring cable bill. A one-time expense for this Apple box would be good value (and would make a nice gift for them), but it would get a lot less attractive if there was another $1500 (a more realistic HDTV price to match the size of their NTSC set) to spend.

20. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

No. Those are composite cables. Component cables have red, blue, and green video cables, and sometimes have white and red cables for audio, too. The composite cables you're thinking of have yellow for video, and red and white for audio.

I, too, have a SDTV, which I purchased about 9 months ago, that has component hookups. It's made by Philips, I think.

21. hikeNM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok---thanks greatly for the clarification.

22. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

People talk about, well I have a CRT television with Component in.

Not every of these have component. Around christmas, I bought a 28" Prosonic, IMO, the ultimate Halo 2 screen. It has 2xSCART in. Of course, they could make a Component>S-video adapter, but if anyone of you actually have realised how hard S-video stinks, I think you would reconsider.

I believe in a component>scart adapter though. A nice little extra $20 to throw on top of the 300 bucks!:D

23. hikeNM thread starter macrumors 6502a

You know, you're right. $299 is within my price range, but if I have $299 to spend, why should I mind spending a total of $1200 when all it would need is standard hookups to work with the TV I've already got.

{Sarcastic voice off}
    The more I think about it, the more I realize how stupid I'd be to buy one anyway. Like somebody said before, if I'm gonna spend $299 for the thing, I might as well just buy a refurbed mini from Apple for another $100 or so, and get more for my money too!

24. ChrisA macrumors G4

The iTV has conponent video outputs. It would be easy to make a cable that combines this the make "composite video". It's not a big deal.

25. hikeNM thread starter macrumors 6502a

I had a feeling there was a way round it.

Thanks