Will iWork '05 feature on new PowerBooks?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Moo-Boo, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Moo-Boo macrumors regular

Moo-Boo

A balmy good day to you all,

I was wondering what the concensus was with you in regards to new PowerBooks and iWork '05. Do you think they'll bundle iWork with the new range of PowerBooks, and, if so, when? I'm saving up for a PowerBook 12" Combo, and, all going well, should be able to pick it up in March. I've always wanted a PowerBook, but their software bundle is nowhere near as good as the iBook's. I am going to have to shell out, when I buy my PowerBook, World Book and probably iWork. I've had iBooks before, which are great, but lack the finesse that the PowerBook provides. What do you think of the software bundles installed with each?

Thanks for your discussion and input!

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i doubt we will see iWork bundled with any of the computers anytime soon, sorry

3. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

They should bundle it with the powerbooks considering they are the pro laptop and thats mainly where products like keynote are used.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Totally not to flame at all, but are you saying you'd actually pay money for World Book? Why in the world? What does it do for you?

As for iWork, I dunno. I kinda doubt it, personally, because its cheap, and I don't buy the PB = professional argument...most people I know who have iBooks have MS Office and use at least one app from it. But maybe?

5. Bear macrumors G3

Don't get WorldBook.

World Book is not supporting updates anymore, and there is no new 2005 version.

The Britanica Encyclopedia is updated for 2005 and costs less. And I think you get more with it.

6. James L macrumors 6502a

Apple NEVER bundled Appleworks with the power line (at least in the 4 or 5 machines I have bought), but it always seemed to come on the consumer lines (iMac, iBook).

Not that I think they will bundle iWorks, but if they did I would expect to see it on the consumer line before the power one.

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

They were selling Keynote 1.0 as a build-to-order option so I would expect that they'll do that with iWork and that the price will go up as they add applications.

8. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

I dont understand that, shouldnt it be the power line that gets it. I mean your paying way more first of all and the kind of people that would use that would be getting from the power line.

9. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

add applications? I never knew tha was going to happen. What other types of apps will probably be added?

10. Bear macrumors G3

The most rumored and anticipated app to be added is a spreadsheet program. There has been talk of this on the various other iWork threads.

11. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Don't think that it will come with any of the mac's standard because iWork is a program that it like an Office suite and is therefore not going to come with it from the factory.

Altough I would very much like if apple decided to ship iWork with all machines :D

12. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

think different. keynote1 originally cost more than iwork now, so if the trend continues, iwork will cost less after they add the spreadsheet into it :D :D :D :D :D

13. Moo-Boo thread starter macrumors regular

Moo-Boo

Will iWork '05 feature on new PowerBooks?

Thanks for all the input, kids, you've given me much food for thought. It seems that no one's 100% sure if iWork will be put on or not. And as for when, well, that's anybody's guess. But in regard to World Book...I inherited the 2001 edition a couple of years ago, and I enjoyed its multimedia content, and from what I've heard about the 2004 edition, it sounds even better. Shame about the ending of updates though. I've got the Britannica 2003 standard edition, and, while its info is usually spot on, it's not the pleasure to use like World Book. If I purchase the iBook, its standard anyway. But that is yet to be decided. But once again, thank you so much for your views and comments. It's great to see that the Mac community is always ready to give advice to anyone when its needed!

Take care of yourselves and keep doing what you do best!