Will Kerry make a good pres? Wins Wash today!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by acidrock, Feb 7, 2004.

1. acidrock macrumors 6502

Kerry won Wash today and was wondering what you guys think of him. It's been hard for me to follow the political coverage because they are working on the network at school and i can't tune into npr. I've been reading articles here and there but I really know nothing about Kerry except that he's a senator from Mass. I hadn't heard about him pre-Iowa so that was quite a shock. Anyway please tell me what you guys think of him. I just want someone that will beat bush, and if it came down to Kerry against Bush I'd totally vote for him -n

2. sethypoo macrumors 68000

I'm going for Dean.....he has the best educational plan and, well, he seems the most "normal" of the politicians running for President.

This thread really should be moved to the Political forums.

3. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

4. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

5. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Surprised this hasn't been moved yet. I think Kerry is a little on the pompous side. I also think that legislators make terrible presidential candidates. He's a dull arrogant waffler.

I am still for Dean, but apparently that puts me in the extreme minority in every state.

Sigh.

6. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Yeeeahhhhg

Dean's done. It's amazing what a little scream can do.

Have you all heard the dance mixes?

7. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

all i have to say about that is:

YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHGGGGG!

:(

8. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

Re: Yeeeahhhhg

yes, freakin hillarious :D

9. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I like Dean (my liberal side) and Clark (my conservative side). Kerry is OK, and would vote for him over Bush (where are the WMD, why 500+ dead, 3000+ wounded or maimed in the "war" on Iraq?) in a heart beat. But he seems to be molding himself to the polls too much.

I may not agree with Bush and his agenda, but at least he stayed behind his beliefs regardless of the polls; much how i view Dean and Clark. This alone does not make him fit to be president. At least I can give him respect.

OT but, I think the whole process due to the media and the internet needs to be changed. The primaries need to be a national primary. Doing it the way we do now, it is a process by sound bites. We are a nation of lemmings. No one wants to back a loser. So Kerry will win the nomination unless there is an Eagleton or Hart moment. Only because the intial primaries seem to indicate he is the way to go, whether or not that is true.

If todays polls are any indication I hope that none of the primary losers decide a third party run. That could hurt the Democrats in the end.

10. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Re: Yeeeahhhhg

I am not sure that the "scream" was all that bad. You have to look at the audience he was addressing. Again it was the media that bit the apple and ran wit it. That is why i support a national primary. Small moments like this would not over shadow the message. I would rather take the "scream" than some one that is trying to recreate a legacy from the 1992 elections. * years passed since Bush I lost and Bush II won (albeit with the help of the Supreme Court - before the conservatives get all up in arms, you have to admit that you would feel the same way if the roles were reversed).

Where can I find the mix of the "scream"?

11. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

If you noticed in the scream speech, Dead had a microphone, which was a direct feed into the video lines ... THAT made it seem like he was screaming.

At the actual political rally the 'yyeeaahh' couldn't even be heard, there were too many screaming people, only on the Microphone was the last 1/3 of his speach heard, he gets drowned out, not the other way around.

ABC has a story from a video feed that didn't have the mike plugged into the audio, he was totally drowned out.

12. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Nobody cares. People just like to mock and marginalize--the truth and the country be damned.

13. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

this is kind of the opposite way that i see clark... i think he lied about supporting the war initially.. i personally have no problem with a person changing their mind... realizing their being wrong, or whatever... but don't deny that you supported the war when you testified basically saying it was a necessary war.....

overall, i like kerry. dean's cool in that he's so "normal" and doesn't look right in a suit... edwards is the most positive of them all... doesn't resort to attacks that i've seen...

14. numediaman macrumors 6502a

acidrock, go to www.presidentmatch.com and take the survey. The site asks a series of questions on issues and priorities, and then matches you to a candidate.

I recommend not eliminating any party or candidate to get better and more complete results.

The survey is flawed, in my opinion, but interesting and useful, nonetheless.

15. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Mickey Mouse would be better than Bush. That being said my only concern so far with Kerry is that he opposes gay marriages. That is fine if it is a personal belief and not one he takes to the white house. But if he plans to continue this silly ammendment to define marriage as between 1 man and 1 woman I will strongly oppose him while he is in the white house. Meaning I will advocate against it.

But I will not vote on 1 issue. I just chided my own mother for doing that!

16. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I believe you are wrong about Clark. Here is a good article about Clark and his supposed support for the war:

I would also encourage you to read Elizabeth Drew's article on Clark in which she writes about the General and charges against him.

For me the most important issue of the Presidential election is the war in Iraq and ending Bush's doctrine of preemptive war. I would gladly campaign for Clark if he is the nominee given his record on these issues.

17. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

Economic decisions are most important to me since they will affect the quality of life of all. I don't agree with the economic plan of any of the top candidates but Kerry's plan is the closest fit.

18. acidrock thread starter macrumors 6502

hey I did the test, one of the presidents it came up with had dropped out I think and the other was kerry. You guys should try it it's really neat. -n

19. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I have hopes on Kerry with this issue. Given how polarizing gay marriage is, I think that Kerry was smart to distance himself from it at this time. He could have a "change of heart" after getting into the White House.