Will Leopard be free?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ohcrap, Aug 12, 2005.

1. ohcrap macrumors 6502a

Of course it won't be free, in the most obvious sense of the word, but I have not been able to find out - and hopefully someone can tell me - if Leopard will be available as a free OS update or free as a download to users who already have a registered version of Mac OS installed?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Probably be the same as Tiger in that if you bought a new Mac within a month of Leopard's release, you get a free/cheap upgrade depending on where you buy it from. If you have OSX installed on your Mac now, you will not get Leopard for free when it eventually arrives. :)

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

looking at Apple's trend with OS upgrades over the past few years the answer would be a resounding NO, $120 is more like it as the updates have been

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Uh, no

It will be like Jaguar, Panther and Tiger, all costing

But it will be worth the cost, just like the others

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

5. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Since we all had to pay for Tiger (unless you bought a new machine with it pre-loaded), my guess would be that Leopard will not be available free... unless, of course, you buy a new machine with it pre-loaded.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It is only "free" if you buy a new computer, and that's not really free either.

It'll probably cost the usually $129 for a single computer, and the 5 license family pack at $199.

Of course everyone always can hope Apple will go to $99 (single)/$150 (5 license) -- which isn't likely.

7. ohcrap thread starter macrumors 6502a

hm, good to know. Yes, I got Tiger with my new PowerBook (actually Jaguar with a Tiger DVD included in the box) so I was curious what to expect. In all honesty though, I am very satisfied with the OS's current features, I'm not dying for a new version to be released like I am with XP... *shudders*

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Massive thread redirection imminent:

How did you get that username ohshit? :eek:

9. nsutt22 macrumors regular

nsutt22

Hmm... 129$ wouldnt be to bad. Lets hope it stays to par with Panther and Tiger upgrades. I run Tiger on my PBook 1.67 and it runs great and at my work we have some Panther box's and 10.3.9 sure runs speedy flipping quick. Gotta love em both!

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Low self-esteem, and the dog was probably already named ********.

11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i was drinking my soda when i read that line and nearly choked! funny! thank you for the laugh Sun Baked

12. ohcrap thread starter macrumors 6502a

Are you suggesting that I have low self-esteem?

If you put a little thought to it, I'm sure you can figure out how I came up with the username.

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'm personally not questioning either how you came up with the username nor how large your self esteem is or should be. I'm just wondering how it was allowed to be registered. There's pretty strict appropriate language enforcement around here because we try to see ourselves as a family-friendly forum. :)

14. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

What I want to know, is why Jaguar was installed on that PB and it came with Tiger discs. I thought the PBs made after Panthers release where not compatible with Jaguar.

15. ohcrap thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mad Jew,

Beats me. I was reading a few threads here and saw a few cuss words here and there so I figured this forum didn't have such a strict policy (for once), then I couldn't think of a good username (hence the ****** one - and on the with explanation for those of you who assume I have some sort of self-esteem issues based on one small piece of information), I realized that in the first 2 weeks of having my Powerbook and learning the basics of the Mac OS, I had some.. let's call them *accidents* which required me to reformat and reinstall the entire OS. Hm, can you guess what words came out of my mouth each time I had to do this? lol

Also, on a side note, I am very Windows and PC savvy, and definitely fed up with both, which is why I bought a Mac to begin with. And needless to say, I love it. :D

16. ohcrap thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm sorry. I get the names mixed up as I am only familiar with Tiger (and whatever parts of it are alike in Panther). Of course, the system came with Panther installed, not Jaguar. Thanks for pointing that out! :D

17. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Coolness ohshit. I'm not complaining or offended, just curious. :)

It sucks that you had to reinstall the OS too, usually you don't have to do that with Macs. Oh well, you know where to come with any future problems.

Really? I would have thought Apple would allow you to install Jaguar over the top (of course it would require a reformat) since every now and then there is software that is momentarily incompatible with new OS releases. Meh, it's a moot point anyway.

18. ohcrap thread starter macrumors 6502a

lol, no problems. :)

19. tangerineyum macrumors 6502

i received jag free by apple for working for a school.

20. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

You always have to wonder about people that choose something that may be a censored word on another site. :eek:

And that's the flip side to choosing a name like that. ;)

On this site, we sometimes explore both sides of an issue. :eek:

Edit: especially if they decide to use some less than ideal variations... :(

21. ohcrap thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, wonder all you'd like, but next time, you should take a little more time to think before you speak. :)

22. ohcrap thread starter macrumors 6502a

What do you mean? lol you confused me now. :D

23. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If you had decided to use ********, what would we have been expected to think about you. :p

24. ohcrap thread starter macrumors 6502a

lol, when it comes to Macs, ******** would be more than appropriate, although I have learned a LOT in the past month. :D

Like I said, though, ohshit is just for all the times (so far) I've had to say "oh sh*t" when I tried to do something new on the Mac and was... unsuccessful... to say the least. :)

25. ohcrap thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh, I should probably say, before I get banned or something (don't want that!) if an admin can change my name to ohcrap, that's fine with me, lol. I don't want to offend anyone.