Will Leopard get a new UI??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Cosmo modo, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Cosmo modo macrumors member

What do you think..... will Leopard get a new (or updated) UI?
    Or will it be a lot like Tiger?

I am really hoping that Apple will change the overall look and feel of OS X.
    We've been stuck with it's current look since OS X Panther.

I think Apple has to do something or Vista will have a slicker look than OS X :(

I would personally still prefer OS X to Vista but i guess the common (Windows users) opinion will go towards Vista (overdone) Aqua look.

2. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

Well, if you look at the Leopard screenshots, all the programs' UI look similar to iTunes 7. I really like it. I hope they don't move too far away from Aqua, but still change it a bit, which is where iTunes 7 UI is great.

So yes, Leopard is 100% for sure gonna have iTunes 7 GUI.:)

3. Cosmo modo thread starter macrumors member

I am kinda scared that the iTunes 7 look is a bit too minimal.

I do like it for iTunes. It's well designed, but if everything will be like that i think it will turn out to look simple.

I wouldn't mind getting rid of the brushed look, but one needs a bit of bling to make it look attractive.

4. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Not sure how I feel about the iTunes 7 look either. I know it's old already,, but I still kind of like the aqua gel scrollbars.
    Although I DO hope the look stays somewhat minimalist. I would hate it if Apple felt the need to throw in unnecessary graphics to "compete" with vista. What matters most to me is functionality, and a clean and clear look.

5. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

If you have tried Aperture, it also got a cool GUI. I hope they keep the red, yellow and green buttons at the top left corner, and also checkboxes etc., but scrollbars and the brushed surface should be converted to iTunes UI, which is what it looks like from the screenies.:D

6. cherfizzle macrumors regular

i wish apple had come up with the slick transparency FIRST lol. because the vista look is so damn cool

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Look and feel allied with function; the essence of a GUI. What does transparency have to do with the latter?

8. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

Mac OSX 10.0 and 10.1 had a lot of transparency. Apple removed it in later versions of OSX because they and their users came to the conclusion transparency is teh sux0rz.

9. ricksbrain macrumors regular

I've been hoping for a new System Preferences option to use themes. I actually like the black vista uses-- same as in iWeb and other stuff Apple does on occasion. I have overly sensitive eyes sometimes and would love to keep everything dark/charcoal most of the time.

10. cherfizzle macrumors regular

no i mean like really cool transparency like vista

11. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

Actually, it wasn't removed, it was refined and applied where transparency actually makes sense (i.e., dashboard, expose, the volume window that appears when you use the volume adjustment keys, etc.) and not just having it for the sake of having it (i.e., Vista's window titlebars).

At this stage I don't think anyone outside of Cupertino knows what Leopard's UI will look like, but we'll all probably find out this coming Macworld in January. Whether it turns out to be a relatively minor tune-up of what's already in Tiger, or a full-blown revamp is anyone's guess, but the general UI in OS X hasn't changed much over the last several years and everyone now has their laundry list of things that could be changed or improved (mostly improved).

Personally, I go to church every Sunday and pray that it doesn't end up looking like iTunes 7, although I don't buy for a second that iTunes 7 is intended as a harbinger of what's to come in Leopard. At least that's not in keeping with Apple's all too secretive ways when it comes to unreleased products. More likely, Apple just dumbed-down the iTunes UI graphics so it would be easier to build for both Windows XP and OS X, basically iTunes 7 (with the exception of coverflow) looks like it walked out of an OS 9 development lab.

12. Chef Medeski macrumors 6502a

Chef Medeski

I like iTunes. Except I liked the brushed metal, but I could do without it.

Except like you said aqua gel. Those are the sh*t. The iTunes one looks so ugly. Why change it. :confused:

13. Xavier macrumors 68020

It would be nice if they give you a few options to choose from, allowing you to switch back and forth whenever you want, like the Blue or Graphite option. There for the people that still like Aqua can still use it, and the people that love the new iTunes look can change to that.

14. cherfizzle macrumors regular

i completely agree
    as long as they created more than just blue and graphite, that would be really cool

15. portent macrumors 6502a

If and when Apple updates the UI, I hope it makes real, useful changes rather than going for the cool look. Quoting from Apple's HI guidelines:

Hello, Safari developers?

Umm...Sarfari developers?

This is Cupertino, calling the Safari team, are you reading us?

16. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

Not sure if having pull-down windows semi-transparent makes much sense either - but Apple has those...

17. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

no but he means like really really rad transparency like vista

18. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Quoted for great truth. Consider Omniweb, where functional groups of icons share a color, and each icon has a distinct outline to aid immediate recognition.

The basic visual principle of Safari is content area focus. Everything that isn't content is dull, and as compact as possible, to draw the eye to the content area. It's a good principle, but I think they sacrifice too much in following it.

To the several of the people on this thread: Stop confusing graphic design with user interface design. Graphic design is a wonderful thing, but it should be used to complement really excellent UI design, not just to make things shiny for showing off.

<edit>
    Also, transparent menus is a stupid concept. I wish Apple would drop it. If I have a menu open, it is the focus of my attention. Making the currently focused object transparent is crazy; unfocused objects are the correct place for transparency.
    </edit>

19. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

oh, really really rad.

Why didn't you say so?:rolleyes: :)

20. 0010101 macrumors regular

OSX is the first GUI that i've not felt the need to change or otherwise monkey with.. that includes all MacOS versions prior to X, and all flavors of Windows going back to version 3.11.

Heck, i'm even using the default desktop background.

OSX rocks out the box.