will leopard run feature complete on a iMac g5 1.8ghz?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rowanhall, Aug 8, 2006.

1. rowanhall macrumors member

Dec 27, 2004
    Belfast, Northern Ireland
    does anybody know leopard run 100% with nothing cut down on a iMac g5 1.8ghz?

just asking as i know some people with g4s didn't get some of the fancy graphics and animations on their machines when tiger arrived due to incompatable gfx cards.
  2. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Dec 23, 2004
    Charleston, IL
    Well I'm sure it will run fine...obviously not as smoothly as a newer intel mac but it will run none the less

But that's just my thought
  3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

Jun 27, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    I have one of those G4 computers with a bad Graphics Card that can't display the fancy graphics in tiger -_-. But I'm pretty sure that it should run feature complete in Leopard because the card in it is still ok.
  4. projectle macrumors 6502

Oct 11, 2005
    I would hope so, as I am sitting here with a last gen Powerbook G4 17" and I would like to run "feature complete". I do not think that graphics should be a problem with a Radeon 9700 128MB, but who knows. Vista wants 256MB for a 1680x1050 screen.
  5. Warbrain macrumors 603

Jun 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I would say with a large amount of confidence that it will run perfectly fine. All the feature will be there and it won't be crippled in any manner.
  6. rowanhall thread starter macrumors member

Dec 27, 2004
    Belfast, Northern Ireland
    thanks for the advice!

i would expect so myself, but always worth checking!

cheers! :)
  7. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    Well, it will run as feature complete as it can on a PPC, BootCamp, a feature, obviously won't work.

All you guys with Core Image capable cards should have all the eye candy present but those who don't should get all the features anyway - it just won't look as good. Not all that dissimilar to Tiger come to think of it, mind you, in Tiger the only thing I don't get is the ripple effect, from what I saw there's gonna be a lot more "ripple effect" in Leopard.
  8. rafifreak00 macrumors regular

Aug 7, 2006
    Kansas. No, not on a farm.
    It will run, but it won't run "feature complete" as you say. Boot Camp won't work since it's a PowerPC processor and Time Machine might be a bit slower.

Apple says it's compatible from G3 PowerPC processors to the latest Intel processors.

Just imagine Time Machine on a 500MHz G3 iBook... what a pain.