Will mac mini ever ship with a dsplay?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by YoNotYoshi, Apr 22, 2005.

1. YoNotYoshi macrumors newbie

Package a 17-inch lcd (only 1024x 768 max res) by some small third-party (or by apple) and a mouse/keyboard, and sell it for $749-799 for the 1.25ghz, and $849-899 for the 1.42 ghz. Whether or not it is financially viable, I'm willing to bet that these configurations would be more popular than the current eMac.

Of course, apple will keep the BYOKMD model- It's just that an extra 250-300$ for a 17'' lcd, and apple keyboard and mouse however should hit a sweet spot. The main issue here is probably being able to put together a display/keyboard/mouse deal for under $300. Apple will probably have to look third-party for it. Just a random thought.

Moreover, with the newest mac mini updates, (Nvidia Fx5200, 1.33-1.5 ghz, 512 mb ram), you have a pretty decent little system.

2. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

They will never ship with LCD(I think). The point of a macmini is a barebones computer, you get only what you need. Whats the point of an lcd, I'd rather get an emac, all in one, more expandable higher res and the same price.

3. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

Where did you hear this? I didn't know apple was upping the processor speeds on minis...

4. themacman macrumors 6502

5. AstroManLuca macrumors member

You're a little off, there. A 17" LCD provides 1280x1024 max resolution. A 15" LCD will give you 1024x768. Also, LCDs are a lot cheaper than you say... a 15" costs about $150, and a 17" costs about $200, at least for the low end models. But don't think that because they're low-end that they're bad... I have a 17" Acer LCD for around $230 a month or two ago and it's an excellent display, plus it has DVI input so you don't need to use the adapter to use it with the mini.

Not that I think Apple will actually do this.

6. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

I doubt Apple will ever do this, but I know that others are already offering bundles with keyboards, etc. Its only a matter of time before they offer a full meal deal (someone probably already does). Again: Apple -- no; someone else -- almost definitely.

7. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

apple won't, but I wish they gave customers not only the option for apple keyb & mouse, but allso a cheaper 17" to go with it, for people who want it all apple but do not wish to invest +1000 euro's for a 20" display to make it all apple...

and steve if you read this (he won't but we all know some people at apple do) the 17" doesn't need to be a high-end display like the others, just a cheap but still good enough entry model, like a lot of PC manufacturers provide as standard screen option, you want better you pay more...

8. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Amen. But could we make it widescreen? I like widescreen.

9. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

What MacMini has going for it that both eMac & iMac dont is the fact it doesnt come with a display. You want cheapo LCD go get it, you want a Crt go get it, want a wide and big screen go get it. want a quality LCD with no dead pixels go get it. I like NEC for monitors but thats me. Monitors glued to a computer doesnt make sense when monitors last twice as long. Example my old imac 333 its monitor is great but who wants a G3 333?

10. YoNotYoshi thread starter macrumors newbie

I figured that independent outlets would come up with this stuff, but wouldn't an "official" package with the apple keyboard and mouse (instead of kingston or anything else) at a comparable price be profitable for apple?

11. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Well, you can get non-Apple mice and keyboards from the Apple store. And you can order the Mitsubishi Diamond Pro CRT with the PowerMac.

I see what the original poster is getting at - just have an option for keyboard/mouse (none, Apple wireless + bluetooth module, Apple wired, Kensington wired) and monitor (none, non-Apple 15" LCD, non-Apple 17" LCD, Apple displays). It probably won't happen, and I don't think I personally would use it, but the savings with a bundle deal would be attractive to some.

12. auxplage macrumors 6502

Well, a the iMac's 17 Widescreen display is 1440x900.

13. wide macrumors 6502a

I disagree with your thoughts on the next mac mini.

If apple upgraded it to 1.33 and 1.5 GHz, that would be a mere 70 MHz increase for the low-end model and an 80 MHz increase for the high end mini. hardly anything worth waiting for.

Also, isn't the current graphics card (ATI Radeon 9200? i think) better (MB to MB) than the NVidia fx5200 card you mentioned?

14. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I think this would kind of defeat the purpose of the mac mini. It's barebones so the user has the freedom to add whatever he wants of his own and isn't tied down to equipment he may or may not want.

15. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apple should look at making cheaper monitors for their consumer lines though. My dad's in the market for a new computer and he's one of those people who likes to buy the whole thing from one company (something about safer warranties, knows it'll work etc.) and he'd love the Mini with a cheap Apple display (17 inch is fine) rather than the cumbersome eMac or the expensive iMac.

I know this issue has been raised a million times but it's still really frustrating. :(

16. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Obviously, but I think yonotyoshi has a good point. I think that for most switchers, the current set up is great. But, just like you can choose to add an apple keyboard/mouse, it would be nice if you could add an apple monitor to your purchase. Of course, I don't think apple would sell the monitor for all that cheap and still be able to retain that apple style. Then again, maybe they could do an iMonitor type thing with it and make the casing out of plastic, kind of like the old displays.

17. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That's it! It doesn't have to be great or anything. It just has to come from the same company and heaps of people will buy it along with their shiny new Minis. It could just be a rebadged cheap brand but as long as it's sold alongside the Mini and is covered under Applecare, I think it would sell really well.

18. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

And I agree with that - just keeping the discussion interesting and making sure both sides are represented. ;) I agree with your points as well though, and I think if Apple did this right, it could definitely work in their favor (i.e. a cheap plastic monitor or something to that effect). :cool:

19. YoNotYoshi thread starter macrumors newbie

From what I've read the fx 5200 is supported by coreimage while the 9200 is not.

20. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

This wouldn't surprise me if true. The FX5200 is not a crappy video card, although many people seem to think so - I have no complaints with mine!