Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cleverbloke

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
UK
Is it ok to use mac mini lion server like a normal mac mini lion

Don't understand all the server stuff, but do understand about dual core and quad core

so faster machine for video editing and transcoding,

hook up mac mini to HDTV so don't need iMac 27" or Mac Pro

thanks

duky

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
North Carolina
Yup, you don't need to worry about the Server stuff if you don't need it. You could also just install non-server Lion on it but having had Snow Leo Server and now Lion Server on my Mac mini, the Server stuff won't interfere if you don't need it to but you should explore it as it can come in handy.

radiohed

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2007
Portland, ME
As Duky said, you can just ignore the server apps and use it like a Lion client machine, or install the Lion client version if you prefer. That is what I did on my 2010 mini server. During the install, I changed the drives over to a raid 0 so I have a 1TB fast single drive. I installed Snow Leopard client and then this week upgraded to Lion. Too bad they didn't put the AMD 6630m graphics card in the server version. The mini is such a nice little machine! :D

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
Installing normal Lion could be quite difficult.

You'll want to hope that you can replace the hdd in a normal 2011 Mini, then when its download Lion via internet recovery and starting to install pull the power, remove the hdd and examine the contents and see if you can find what you need to make a bootable disc to install Lion on a 2011 Mini Server.

You may need to do the above for the 2011 Mini Server as well and edit some files.

Or hope that when 10.7.1 comes out Apple updates the App Store installer so that the InstallESD.dmg is for 10.7.1 and includes support for the 2011 Minis.

Nanker/Phelge

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2010
Installing normal Lion could be quite difficult.

You'll want to hope that you can replace the hdd in a normal 2011 Mini, then when its download Lion via internet recovery and starting to install pull the power, remove the hdd and examine the contents and see if you can find what you need to make a bootable disc to install Lion on a 2011 Mini Server.

You may need to do the above for the 2011 Mini Server as well and edit some files.

Or hope that when 10.7.1 comes out Apple updates the App Store installer so that the InstallESD.dmg is for 10.7.1 and includes support for the 2011 Minis.

I was under the impression that Lion Server just an add on/app that runs with a normal Lion install...is this not the case?

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
I don't know. I guess if that's the case you could remove the add-on app or just not use it.

But if you wanted to do a clean install of Mac OS X Lion without the server components it would be quite difficult.

Nanker/Phelge

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2010
I don't know. I guess if that's the case you could remove the add-on app or just not use it.

But if you wanted to do a clean install of Mac OS X Lion without the server components it would be quite difficult.

I'm pretty sure you can just install Lion like a regular machine and not use the Lion Server add-ons. Its not a completely different OS like Snow Leopard Server so I don't expect people to have issues like they did with last year's model

cleverbloke

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
UK
Thanks for replies

I kind of thought i wouldn't be able to install Lion on it as even a bootable disc will still search for the server Lion

hence one of the reasons i was asking if the software is still the same except for the server apps

Took the big plunge and got what is in my signature and will just run it like a Lion and put Parallels 6 on it , see iLife is included this time, so lets hope nothing is missing software wise

2nd Aug delivery date

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
A slight twist on this question - you could certainly ignore the server features and use it as a normal computer, but how much overhead does the server processes running in the background add? Is it noticeably slower or does it take a substantial amount of resources to run it?

eddiesudz

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2009
Thanks for replies

I kind of thought i wouldn't be able to install Lion on it as even a bootable disc will still search for the server Lion

hence one of the reasons i was asking if the software is still the same except for the server apps

Took the big plunge and got what is in my signature and will just run it like a Lion and put Parallels 6 on it , see iLife is included this time, so lets hope nothing is missing software wise

2nd Aug delivery date

Would love to hear how it functions for you after you've played with it for a bit. Congrats!

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
While powering it on, hold COMMAND + R and get the new recovery menu. Choose Disk Utility, Erase.
Choose Install Lion.

Done. Easy Peasy.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
From the Apple store specs for included software in the new mini server:

OS X Lion Server
Includes unlimited-client license, as well as Server app, Profile Manager, File Sharing for iPad, Push Notifications, Wiki Server, iCal Server, Mail Server, and Xsan.
Learn more about OS X Lion Server

OS X Lion
Includes Mail, Address Book, iCal, the Mac App Store, iTunes, Safari, Time Machine, FaceTime, Photo Booth, Mission Control, Launchpad, AirDrop, Resume, Auto Save, Versions, Quick Look, Spotlight, QuickTime, and more.
Learn more about OS X Lion

Lion Recovery
OS X Lion includes a built-in set of tools for repairing your Mac in the Lion Recovery, a new feature that lets you repair disks or reinstall OS X Lion without a physical disc.
Learn more about Lion Recovery

iLife
Includes iPhoto, iMovie, and GarageBand.
Learn more about iLife

I'd imagine if you ignore the server components the machine runs with Lion pre-installed and it's a non-issue unless you're talking about removing Lion server software to gain more storage space.. but that would be dumb imo. That unlimited client license is worth more than you may comprehend at this point in time.

jasg49

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2010

OS X Lion Server
Includes unlimited-client license, as well as Server app, Profile Manager, File Sharing for iPad, Push Notifications, Wiki Server, iCal Server, Mail Server, and Xsan.
Learn more about OS X Lion Server

OS X Lion
Includes Mail, Address Book, iCal, the Mac App Store, iTunes, Safari, Time Machine, FaceTime, Photo Booth, Mission Control, Launchpad, AirDrop, Resume, Auto Save, Versions, Quick Look, Spotlight, QuickTime, and more.
Learn more about OS X Lion

Lion Recovery
OS X Lion includes a built-in set of tools for repairing your Mac in the Lion Recovery, a new feature that lets you repair disks or reinstall OS X Lion without a physical disc.
Learn more about Lion Recovery

iLife
Includes iPhoto, iMovie, and GarageBand.
Learn more about iLife

I'd imagine if you ignore the server components the machine runs with Lion pre-installed and it's a non-issue unless you're talking about removing Lion server software to gain more storage space.. but that would be dumb imo. That unlimited client license is worth more than you may comprehend at this point in time.
I may be missing your point, but you seem to imply that the 'unlimited client license' is for the non-server version of Lion.

In the context of a server license, I believe that 'unlimited client' means that any number of other client workstations can connect to the server. This is in contrast to MS and other vendors who require a separately purchased 'client license' (not client OS) for each connection to the server. Beginning with Snow Leopard, Apple eliminated per-client licenses to connect to servers.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
I was unaware of the Snow Leopard change. Still on plain Leopard.. that was my point tho was the unlimited client license. Why would you want to delete the Lion server when down the road it may come in very very handy? Unless that is you want Steve Jobs to pwn all your stuff in his magical mystery cloud within the next decade?:confused::p

My other point is that Lion client does not need to be installed on the server mini; it is already there. A couple of posters seem to be unaware of this.

jaykk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
CA
In Lion, server component is just an add-on, it behaves just like a client OS if you don't use any Server components. I believe when you re-install, you have to install client OS first, then on top of that you have to install Server add on.

I don't think additional server components (and services) are not run if you don't use it, thus no overhead.

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
I just finished setting up my new Mac Mini Server. It's a little confusing at first, because it makes you go through some of the server setup procedures. You can basically skip most of them and return later if you decide to use them. If you remove the Server icon from the dock you won't even know it's there.

...at least as far as I can tell so far.

Otherwise it runs just like the regular version of Lion. The server portion seems to be just a collection of apps that help you manage those features.

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
Otherwise it runs just like the regular version of Lion. The server portion seems to be just a collection of apps that help you manage those features.

I know you can do this with any mac- but does Lion server make it easy to set up a webpage? It would be great if they guided users through registering domain names and stuff.

cleverbloke

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
UK

Thanks for the information

Now think i have made the right choice, all the software i am used to in Lion is there and after seeing threads of hard drives clicking noises, glad i just went with the single SSD :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.