Will Mac OS be dumped for Windows?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by timmillwood, Apr 10, 2006.

1. timmillwood macrumors 6502a

Apr 7, 2006
  2. dr_lha macrumors 68000

Oct 8, 2003

At least, the day Apple dump OS X and go to Windows is the day Apple lose me as a customer. I'm sure many Mac fans feel the same.

And no - this isn't the same as when they moved from PPC to Intel.
  3. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Unlikely. Go and read John Gruber's take on Daring Fireball. He makes a lot of extremely good points - and references the report that you're linking to.
  4. dr_lha macrumors 68000

Oct 8, 2003
    BTW - did you even read that link. It has nothing to do with Apple dump OS X for Windows. Its Cringely speculating that Apple will release OS X for generic PCs.

Another thing that will never happen.
  5. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Jan 14, 2006
    New York City
    The day Apple dumps OS X for Windows, I'll move onto Linux.

But that day will never happen anytime soon.

However it is a surreal thing that you can go into a store now and see Windows running on an Apple made machine. Brilliance for Apple.

My PC friends used to bug me about there not being enough software on a mac, compared to Windows. So is it safe to say Apple users now have more options when it comes to software applications? :D
  6. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
  7. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

Feb 4, 2003
    New HAMpshire
    Will Mac OS be dumped for Windows?

That has to be the funniest thing I have heard in days!:D

That is like saying Ferrari is going to stop making engines and put in a Chevy 8 cylinder. Yeah, it would drive it but not the same way.

Basically when hell freezes over...oh wait...didn't that happen when the Eagles got back together? (Dating myself a bit here) (Not that I am a big Eagles fan.)
  8. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

Feb 23, 2006
    I think the most observant comment was
    Lord only knows how much Micro$oft loses to priacy, and how much time and money they have to spend on anti-piracy equipment and software solutions. It sort of makes sense why OS X doesn't have any licensing protections (that at least I can find) beyond the fact that they expect you to buy a 5-computer license for a household out of good faith, and they don't charge you an arm and a leg for it (+$50 for the 5 client license) it appeals to people to just act on good faith and spend a little more, as opposed to getting blown away on multiple licensing by Microsoft, where there is economic incentive just to just pirate it.
  9. timmillwood thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apr 7, 2006
    That link just made me think if apple are putting so much effort into windows will they use it instead

I hope not, because otherwise i would buy a Sony
  10. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Why? Why? Why?

Why become another Dell? Why ruin your unique niche market? The ONLY reason they put out BootCamp is to CONTROL how people are putting Windows on thier Apple hardware. They're not switching to Windows.
  11. dirt farmer macrumors 6502

Feb 23, 2005
    as stated here, Boot Camp is a well thought-out gimmick
  12. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Jan 11, 2005
    Little grey, chilly island.
    As as said many times before; the strength of the Mac platform lies in the seamless integration of software and hardware. It is this that the platform has incredible advantages over Wintel boxes.
  13. 2ndPath macrumors 6502

Feb 21, 2006
    Apple will dump Mac OS, if a large majority of the people buying Macs would not run Mac OS on them. But that won't happen, if the main selling point for Macs is Mac OS.
  14. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

Oct 19, 2005
    The poor section of Connecticut
    Um, ahhh, no. Windows is a PC OS, OSX is a Mac OS. They may be able to peacefully coexist beside each other but one does not replace the other.
  15. miniConvert macrumors 68040

Mar 4, 2006
    Kent, UK - the 'Garden of England'.
    If they dumped OS X for Windows they'd lose me as a customer also :)
  16. wmmk macrumors 68020

Mar 28, 2006
    The Library.
    if they did that, id just hold on to my mac mini.
    true innovation stands the test of time.
    amiga is still a 1st rate os and much better than windows!
  17. howesey macrumors 6502a

Dec 3, 2005
  18. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

Dec 1, 2005
    Well I think we dont need to worry at all. Steve is a wise man. He`s playing a really BIG game. Dont be surprised if you see Mac`s share growing to 30% + in the computing world.This move to allow windoz on Mac will do wonders for Apple. I can see a lot more people more interested in owning a Mac than ever. And any one who buys a Mac and install windoze on it, will definitely give OSX a try. Will be all praise for the Cool n neat look OSX but become frustrated after a little while as he wont be able to do much coz of his zero experience with Macs and go back to windows. But the damage will be done. Wenever he/she gets time he`ll try to use OSX. And very soon OSX will be the primary OS(especially if parallels work out good). Windowz will just sit on his computer as long as there`s no need for games. But even then just the thought of rebooting into windows will be more than enough to discard the idea.
    If everything works out then developers too will be writing software for Macs along with Windoze version if not earlier. The future`s bright.

That`s just my theory. Will believe it as long as Steve doesnt announce the end of Mac OS. It makes me feel better.:rolleyes:
  19. LACOSTE macrumors member

Jan 10, 2006
    Nah... apple is just having a go at windows.

Macusers already know that Windows is crap. Boot-camp is just a way of showing other people how crap windows really is. :)

[Edit: ... "thou shalt not flame!"... okay fine... Windows isnt crap, its just... scary to use]

MacOS is'nt gonna get dumped for windows.
    MacOS is just gonna dump the 'serving a niche' concept. Reaching for mainstream users with quality and superior products, and the most advanced and intuitive operating system on the planet.

There. Spoken like a true MacEvangelist. now back to proofreading an essay thats due in a few hours.
  20. walkingmac macrumors 6502

Mar 30, 2003
    Greater Cincinnati
    If (and that is a huge if we would only find ourselves living in after a post nuclear holocaust) Apple dumped Mac OS for Windoz I feel 75% of the installed user base would continue using the final release of Mac OS for the next 20 yrs and/or until a new generation of OS was developed and probably by a post-mac community. Most would refuse to return to the land of dull little boxes, myself included. I might have to take a serious look Linux. The computer landscape would change forever.
  21. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    Mac OS being dumped for Windblows.....nope, not gonna happen.

Windows being dumped for Mac- this could eventually be a possibility. :)
  22. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    Let us hope not! :eek: ;) :)

The very thought of Dvorak prowling the sacred halls of MR is more than just slightly scary. :eek: :)
  23. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Mar 30, 2004
    Will President Bush defect to the Russian Federation?
  24. xsedrinam macrumors 601

Oct 21, 2004
    Whether or not Gruber's speculation is correct, it makes good sense and resonates with me. That may be in part because I want to believe that Apple are thinking that way and that my continued use and investment in their product are on strong ground. On a personal note, I don't have need to use Windows (VirtualPC copy has sat untouched in its box for ~3 years), and my go-to apps (Adobe CS2, All the Pro Apps, All the Macromedia Apps, Office 2004 Updated, Mellel, QTPro 7, WMP for Mac, VLC, Motion, and a bunch of smaller, functional audio/video freeware and shareware pretty much guarantee my continued use of OSX. I'll also wait before the purchase of the MBP to insure that the Pro Apps and Adobe are moving in pace, too. I'll never be a gamer. Never. Why do all Windows users play Solataire...everywhere.....all the time? What's up with that?