Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Easy Rider

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
I do lots of pro work ranging from audio to video editing. My mobile solution right now is a thinkpad.

The drive bay on the side, they call it ultra bay, whatever, is replaceable with three alternatives:

I can use my thinkpad in the standard way it was meant to be used with an optical drive.

I can use that bay to shove an extra hard drive in there, which is a god send for when i do editing, my main 160gb drive plus an extra 160gb in the drive bay = sweet!

I can use that bay to shove a battery in there so now I have 2 batteries giving me about 10 hours of battery life no sweat

Now I realize that Apple has some smart mofo's working for them, but do you think such a relativly simple feature will be added?

I can think of the benefits now, I mean whenever blueray or hddvd burners for laptops become cheap enough, instead of carrying around an external unit, or buying a new laptop, i can just swap the optical drive!

So what do you think guys, innovation is coming? or just another case change with no real benefits except maybe it looks a little bit cooler.

gallagb

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2004
IN
prolly not 'modular'
(like the old G3 PB's)

but- i'd be surprised if they didn't get some sort of 'user changeable' drive like the macbook does

brandon6684

Dec 30, 2002
They'll probably get a user replaceable hard drive like the MacBook. I'd actually expect to see a major redesign of the MacBook Pro soon since the first Intel version was rushed and is basically Intel parts in a PowerBook case.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
A true modular drive - absolutely not. It was "shed" from PowerBooks starting with the Titanium G4. It won't be a "gained feature" - in the sense that Apple hasn't figure out how to make modular drives yet. They already did that, it's in the past, over and done with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.