will Macintel think about the old school?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by treysmay, Jul 22, 2005.

1. treysmay macrumors regular

treysmay

MacIntels - what about old software “Non-universal binaries” such as drivers, plug in’s and such. I am interested to see if they will make drivers for my Wacom intuos which I am going to spill 320 bucks Canadian on. or my new Epson R200 printer which is not as important. Simple things, but a huge hit on the wallet. buying office x or Photoshop cs2 “which I believe is non Altivec based” could it possibly rum well on Rosetta? or maybe the company will offer an update or special pricing on the universal binary software to previous owners. This is all just running through my head as I prepare to buy all the stuff for school and don’t want my investments to be dust in the wind :confused: . What do you guys think? Have you any concerns about expensive equipment you own being unsupported?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This question has been covered numerous times. There is nothing to be confused about. To the average user, a Mactel will be a Mac. Your printer doesn't care what your processor is. Neither does your Wacom tablet. Your MacOS X PPC software will run on Rosetta.

3. RacerX macrumors 65832

By "they" I'm guessing you mean the original manufacturers (surely not Apple, as Apple didn't make that stuff to begin with).

As Apple is going to be selling PowerPC Macs through 2007 (and I would actually bet we'll still be seeing them sold until 2009 the same way that the Mac OS 9 bootable systems were sold long after the main line moved to being Mac OS X only), so I guess a year or two after that you should start worrying (or how ever long you usually stay with your systems before upgrading).

Better than the earlier versions did in Classic.

Again, why are you worrying about this now? Are you planning on being the first to buy an Intel based Mac? And no one is forcing you to upgrade.

Remember, it is 2005... and there are no Intel based Macs.

I think your wallet is safe (or as safe as it has ever been for you) for the next few years. ;)

4. treysmay thread starter macrumors regular

treysmay