Will many of you get new 'n' Airport? AppleTV

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by markw10, Jan 12, 2007.

1. markw10 macrumors 6502

I noticed Apple introduced a new 'n' networking airport. Since I'm getting the Apple TV and as well have a C2D Macbook Pro that supports 'n' it seems like it seems to be a good choice to upgrade to 'n' networking but I have several questions:
    1. If I'm right at this time the n networking is mostly proprietary meaning if I want to use it I should get all Apple hardware. Is that true?
    2. When the 'n' spec is finalized with the MacBook Pro, Apple TV, etc. via firmware update support that or will I have to stay with Apple hardware
    3. How important is n for the Apple TV? I plan to mostly use it for streaming mp3's, sometimes photos, and at times video off of a future mac pro I plan to purchase this summer. I had planned streaming but if necessary would be willing to copy it over to the Apple TV. Obviously I know n will copy it over faster but I don't mind doing this overnight and taking longer. Is the n needed only for HiDef video or is it necessary for standard streaming video?
    4. I've heard in the past to stay away from Airport and use other brands so am I better off avoiding this product?

2. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

the new base station is ... either mistakenly advertised, or not a worthy product.

1. you don't have to use all apple products for 802.11n to work

2. i'm not sure if i understand the quesiton

3. :S sorry, i dont know much of the detail about appleTV

4. it offers less features than other products of other brands in the same price range (no gigabit ethernet), and it doesn't offer anything other brands dont offer (i believe usb port is offered somewhere?)

3. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Enough whining about gigabit ethernet already.

Most people *gasp* don't care! On a workstation class system gigabit ethernet requires eats more bandwidth than a regular 32 bit PCI slot. You reckon your "Macbook Pro" with a puny 2.5" hard drive has enough sustained throughput to saturate the link? Not a chance.

You believe the usb port is offered somewhere? Well don't just believe, find proof for yourself! To date I have never seen any other product that actually accepts a usb hub AND lets you connect multiple devices. Last wireless print server I purchase, albeit 2 years ago, had buggy firmware, works only with Windows through some proprietary software drivers, and is so flakey and unpredictable it is as good as it is not there.

Others might have similar products, "with more features", but who are "others"? Linksys? Netgear? Sorry bud, you can keep rebooting that router as you wish, I prefer my stuff to just work.

4. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

If you are actually interested in third party and user choice then I suggest you sell your Macbook Pro right now and just go back to Wintel land.

We are talking about Apple, a company that makes $700 "Smartphones" that do not accept third party apps. What else would you expect?

I would say that the Airport Extreme is no better and no worse than other vendor's products at least in this area. The finalised standard may change so drastically that an old firmware fix might no longer do.

You can always hold out until 2008 for the 802.11n standard to be ratified though, even Intel isn't waiting for their Kedron. Is it worth waiting a whole year just because a $100 router is going to get "updated" at some pie in the sky near future? That's entirely your call.

Things get updated all the time anyway. No matter what the AE is still a lot better than a basic 802.11g router.