will mics always work?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by comictimes, Apr 11, 2005.

1. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

Hey all- I was wondering whether any mics don't work on Macs, or if a mic is a mic. Cause I want to buy the Sennheiser PC150's, but I'm nervous about whether the mic would have any compatibility issues.

Thanks!

2. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

There's a problem with headsets, as the Mac needs a pre-amplified mic. I think this would be true for stand-alone mics, too, so you should use a USB one.

3. comictimes thread starter macrumors 6502a

comictimes

but then why would my powerbook have a line-in port, if it can't use regular mics? Seems really odd to me...

edit: ok, it looks like you're right- I just found an article in the apple support section saying essentially the same thing. However, a headset really would make my life wonderfully easier, so does anyone know whether an amplifier meant for headphones would work for a mic? And, if so, would something like this work?

Thanks again.

4. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

buy a iMic instead of the amp.
    USB amp with audio in and out
    That way you use any headset u like and u have an extra sound out.

I have one on my mini and use a headset for skype.
    My headset speakers are connected through the mini, my speaker amp is connected to the out on the iMic, as is the headset's microphone.
    My mac plays all sounds to the stereo amp (actually to a little mixer i had laying around to connect my mini, G3 and a PC to a 'US Master' cheapo, but nice 2.1 amp - speakers and sub included :p), except skype, which is set up to use only the headset speakers.
    easy to use and set up.
    * complicated setup not necessary.

edit: an iMic also does look nicer and does not need battery changing (USB powered) ;) just a thought

Cheers