Will MS Pocket PC give Window leverage to keep MacOSX a Rarity?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mpw, Oct 25, 2005.

1. mpw Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    Will MS Pocket PC give Window leverage to keep MacOSX a Rarity?

I’m in the market at the moment for a PDA/smart-phone/TabletPC I was looking at two great products today the iMate K-Jam and i-Mate JasJar, both are sold under numerous other names with or without cellphone contracts.

The choice of mobile phones out there is pretty bewildering and it’s only slightly better when you limit yourself to a PDA-phone.

Of course the one thing most smart-phones have in common is that they use the MS Pocket PC OS. Now either of the two phones above met my needs and the deciding factor for me between them is physical size and price, I’m thinking K-Jam although the keyboard and screen size are nicer on the JasJar it’s just a little too big for a phone and too small for a Tablet.

Of course this means I’m going to have to mess about with 3rd party apps to have any hope of Syncing to my Macs. With Palm’s next release of the Treo to be MSPocPC based it looks like the market has a clear leader for early adopters and I wonder how that will translate in the longer term.

If ‘everyone’ who’s buying a mobile is faced with smart-phones then an awful high percentage are going to opt for this OS and that’ll be one more reason for them to stay with a MS Windows PC at home/work.

I believe people in the near future will rely more on their mobiles than the home PC (which I think will evolve into the Home Entertainment hub as Front Row matures) so why don’t Apple either enter this market or at least partner up with either Palm, Nokia or SE to ensure they are still a hassle free, out-of-the-box system for peoples mobile-centric IT lifestyles.
  2. varmit macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2003
    If you haven't notice, smart phones are only useful for getting email thought out the day. Most people travel with their fully functional laptop, and a smart phone. And use the phone only to answer or get important emails, and answer them right away in places where they can't get their laptops connected. Otherwise, all documents, presentations, music, movies, will all be done on a laptop or other device that have larger screens and easier to type on keyboards. The only people that need a smart phone/email on the go phone are corporate users, and the only thing they really use it for is to get their email, and keep their schedule. Most people just need and want something that they can call someone else with, not a all in one gismo.
  3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
  4. Metatron macrumors 6502

Jul 2, 2002

For kicks guys...

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    hey metatron....are u a silent hill fan? is your name taken from the series?
  6. mpw thread starter Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    I don't totally disagree with you but I think you kind of contradict yourself there. Yes most corporate travelers with a smartphone also have a laptop and yes corporate use is probably the number one customer for smartphones. You also say that they only use their smartphone for email/schedule and reserve presentations etc for the laptop. Quite true, but I see a market for those people who are traveling without the need for presentations or those non-corporates who still want email & schedule but don't need a fully fledged laptop.
    For me the k-jam is almost exactly what I'm after, and if it were an Apple product I'll bet they'd have sold three times what they have.
    Most people just want a phone to call people on? Then why can't I buy a phone without a colour screen/camera/games/schedule/WAP etc. etc.
  7. Metatron macrumors 6502

Jul 2, 2002

Silent Hill? Don't know what that is.

No, the movie Dogma. The Metatron was the angle that was the voice of God.
  8. SummerBreeze macrumors 6502a

Sep 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I don't really think that smart phones are the future. Out of my group of friends, I don't know anyone who has one. Personally, I'd much rather get a beautifully designed phone (razr, etc.) than one that let's me check my email everywhere.