Will my AT&T iPhone 5 SIM card work with a Galaxy S3 or a Blackberry for AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Myiphone7, Feb 24, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502a

Will my iPhone 5 data package work with it?

2. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Blackberries, I think are a bit "special" when it comes to provisioning them. As far as I know, a "normal" SIM won't work with a Blackberry (this is certainly the case over here in NZ).

As for the S3, I don't foresee any issues there so long as it physically fits (you may need an adapter).

3. macrumors regular

jackwills

No
    iPhone 5 uses nano sim and S3 uses micro sim
    unless u use an adapter
    not sure abt the blackberry I think they use standard sim?

4. macrumors member

ZeroGauge

Yes. The sim will work you just need an adapter. I found one for about $1 on Amazon a little while back and it came rather quickly. I have a galaxy S3 and an iPhone 5 and the only issue that I've had was when taking my SIM card from the iPhone and putting it into the S3 was the fact that you'll have to call AT&T for data to start working.

5. macrumors 6502a

sawah

I used an adaptor to put my iPhone 5 sim into my Galaxy Nexus. Once I input the right APN my data worked fine, I didn't have to call AT&T at all.

6. thread starter macrumors 6502a

But it isn't a problem otherwise?

Will I lose my unlimited data?

----------

What does APN mean?

7. macrumors 68040

AutoUnion39

No, you don't. I swap my SIM (with adapter) between my Note 2 and iPhone 5 all the time. Nothing has to be done. Data works perfect on both devices. I've swapped the SIM into my old S3, Nexus 4, Optimus G, etc. Never needed to call AT&T.

8. macrumors 6502a

sawah

APN is Access Point Name.

9. macrumors 68000

1080p

When I swapped from iPhone 5 to Galaxy Note II, AT&T needed to change my data plan from "iPhone Data" to "Smartphone Data." Otherwise my Note II couldn't stay connected to LTE and would only pickup HSPA.

10. thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm afraid I'd have the same problem

11. macrumors 6502a

sawah

My iPhone 5 plans works with the Galaxy Nexus because the at&t plan supports hspa+. So I didn't have to change my plan and I still get hspa+.

12. macrumors member

ZeroGauge

Really? I don't understand why data never works on my S3 until I call At&t to change the data plan. Is your data plan for the iPhone 5 or an Android device?

----------

As long as the phone isn't purchased through an upgrade it shouldn't interfere with your unlimited data at all. A member in this thread also brought it to my attention that you don't have to call At&t when trading your SIM card from your devices so there really shouldn't be any issues.