Will my current Mac games work on Intel chips?

Discussion in 'Games' started by bluebomberman, Jun 7, 2005.

1. bluebomberman macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

The top story on the MacRumors home page links to an article in MacWorld about how Rosetta does not support Altivec.

I plead ignorance. Does this mean my (admittedly tiny) library of Mac games will not work on Intel chips? (Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, and Warcraft III.) I expect Blizzard to go to great lengths to make their games work, but I don't have high hopes for the others...

I may hold off on buying Mac games...at least until I get some answers...

2. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Hm...dunno, they might not.

No reason not to buy games if they work fine on your current Mac though.

3. admanimal macrumors 68040

One thing you could do is check what the requirements listed on the box (or manual...wherever) say. If it says it will work on a G3, then I'd say there's a pretty good chance it will work with Rosetta. If it says G4 or greater, that doesn't necessarily mean that it won't work, as it might just require a faster CPU and not actually use any G4 or G5 specific features (like altivec). But if it says G3 or greater, again I'd guess you're safe.

4. antrabbit macrumors member

antrabbit

Well you don't have to get rid of your old computer when you get a new one. Just use the old one to play old games and the new one to play new games ;)

5. sourcemonkey macrumors regular

perhaps an issue of concern is that as macs will be able to run windows software, deveolpers are unlikely to optimize games for os x. does anyone agree? (i hope not actually(if its not an issue let me know).

[great... i take a week or so off posting and i find out about the macintel and leapard news] :mad: :) :confused:

6. petej macrumors regular

Intel macs will not run windows software. To run windows software you will still need a virtual windows envrionment such as Virtual PC with windows XP installed in that environment. Virtual PC running on an intel mac should provide a significant performance boost since the processor instructions will not need translating. Developers are perhaps more likely to optimise games for OS X since they will be dealing with the same processor. If Apple now start to use off the shelf graphics cards and developers don't use MS specifics such as Direct X then it will be much easier to port games over and get better performance.

7. cubist macrumors 68020

The quick, true and correct answer to the original question is, No. Current Mac games will not run usably on the Intel Macs.

Some software may run acceptably in Rosetta, anything which is not speed-critical. But for the most part, Mac users will be buying all their software over again. Again.

Virtual PC does not currently support DirectX calls to the hardware, so even though Windows programs will run full-speed in the future Virtual PC for Mac (if such a thing comes about), they will not be able to use graphics well.

However, Wine does seem to be moving in the direction of supporting DirectX, so it may be possible to play current Windows games in the future.

Likely as not, you'll want newer games anyway. We're talking about late 2006/early 2007, right?

8. BenRoethig macrumors 68030

BenRoethig

Not unless about 30% of the code is rewritten.

9. bluebomberman thread starter macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

I'd *really* like to avoid that; dusting off my 4+ year-old Dell laptop to play Windows games has been sooooooo painful (hey, I switched for a reason!) that I put my laptop in the far end of the closet and asked all my friends if they wanted any games from me.

Judging from all the answers in this thread, I'm guessing that I should hold off on buying new games until I can get my hands on a Intel-powered Mac or some sort of reassurance that the PowerPC-based games will run.

Good thing I played KOTOR and Lord of the Rings to death already.

10. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

Why would you not but a game in 2005 just because it might not play in 2006 or 2007? It doesn't seem to make sense. If there is a game I want now, I'm buying it now and playing it till the disk wears out by 2006-2007.

Also, even if Altivec/G4/G5 optimizing is not supported in Rosetta, the machines coming out in '06+ will probably handle older games just fine.

Not sure why everyone is freaking about this. Thats like saying you wont eat this week cuz next week you're getting a colonic and you may not poop well then! :eek:

11. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

What about future Mac games? Will future games still run on my G5?

12. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Actually from what I'm hearing the Dev Macs can actually run Windows fine with the proper drivers. So no need for vitual PC at all but I think they will have it like a virtual pc setup like now, so Windows would be in a seperate window in OSX like VPC is now. Just running at native speed which will rock. Hopefully it will take advantage of all the hardware on the Macs such as the GPU and such which I think it will. All that would ROCK for me and can through away my 3 computer set up and just have one uber Mac! SWEEEEET!

13. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

The only thing that annoys me is that Classic won't work on the Intel Macs. I have a few Classic games (like Worms and Rail Road Tycoon2) that I still play on my PB G4. I just hope that Apple or some third party decides to include classic in the end or at least make an emulator.

14. bluebomberman thread starter macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

Point taken, but I tend to play games with long-term value (RPGs, strategy, moddable games) precisely because I want to be able to dust it off a few years later. Heck, just look at all the people still playing Starcraft or Diablo II. I'd still be playing Freedom Force if I had the Mac version.

Why do you think backwards compatibility is such a big deal in all the future gaming consoles?

I'd rather spend a few dollars on a movie rental than $50 on a game I don't think I'll touch (willingly or forcibly) next year. These days, there's always something else to do.

15. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Just keep your old Mac for the old games. Problem solved.

16. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Such an emulator already exists, and runs on Windows and Linux (x86 and PPC) and OS X, called SheepShaver. It needs a little more polishing, but is already more compatible than Classic in some cases (less so in others, especially if you want 3D hardware support which SheepShaver will probably never have). I wouldn't be surprised to see a MacIntel version eventually; probably wouldn't take much to convert the x86 Linux version to x86 OS X. The x86 version has JIT emulation of PPC and so is probably similar to Rosetta in performance...i.e., good enough for old Classic games where you don't need native speeds.

--Eric

17. sourcemonkey macrumors regular

no doubt another great innovation from us in New Zealand!
    :)

18. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

This thread got me thinking. I've got a killer wheel and pedals setup. Logitech Momo FF with TSW2 Momo Pedals so that I can race Nascar Racing 2003 (and all the Mod's) when I feel inclined. There are some killer mod's including the Ferrari 330 mod which totally ROCKS. I can't give this up :( I may end up buying the last G5 Power Mac ever sold and just run what run's on it for as long as I want...

19. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Why would that hardware not work? Just get the next version of that game that comes out.

20. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

There won't be any next versions. Papyrus (developed the Nascar Racing Series) is history.

21. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Well that sucks. Just keep your current system if it works though.

22. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

That's not just an advantage, that can be more of a problem, because that could mean there will be almost no games for the PowerPC based Macs that have been sold until now and that will be sold until the end of 2007.

I would be very hesitant about buying any Mac until the transition is well over.

23. skellener macrumors 68000

skellener

Most likely yes. Current games will run by Rosetta fine. Future games will to. There will probably be a speed hit for using Rosetta. But since gaming ios about speed, for them to be optimized, they'll have to use Xcode and Universal Binaries. It's really gonna be up to the developers.