Will my home electric board distroy my power adapter ?

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by XPcentric, Jan 26, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

Oct 16, 2008
    The problem is that in the house I live now, there is a very old "electric board", not sure if I use the right term but you can understand what I mean. The electric installation needs repairing because I can hear fireworks in it. Because of that the light bulbs fluctuate, and even inside the power adapter of my mac I can here tic-tic sounds continuously. I hope it will not damage it until I make repairs with home.
  2. macrumors 6502a

Jun 26, 2007
    Computers power supplies have somewhat of a tolerance and this is probably when it doesn't turn itself off. That being said that is not a good situation at all.

In most cases a surge protector is good enough but in your case I would recommend a battery backup like an APC so that if you voltage drops too low it can keep the power constant. If your mini dies because of a power surge it will not be covered by warranty, and yes they can tell.
  3. macrumors 604

Sep 17, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    You could get a small UPS for your computer, although they're kinda pricey at $50-$100...
  4. macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2008
    Always a day away
    If this is the case you have much bigger worries than a power adapter.
  5. macrumors 6502

Jan 7, 2012
    Very true I'd move out until you can get it replaced, your house might burn down.
  6. macrumors 65816

Mar 2, 2007
    So easy to say when you're not in someone else's shoes. If he lives in a dilapidated place, it's probably because the good quality ones come with a price or a rent he can't afford, let alone go somewhere else while still paying for the house to be repaired.
  7. thread starter macrumors regular

Oct 16, 2008
    ok, this topic can be closed, I resolved the problem with the hammer, no more fireworks.