Will my machine be orphaned at OS X 10.5 ?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by btc, Jul 11, 2006.

1. btc macrumors member

Jan 29, 2006
    i have a blue and White G3 w/ 1 GHz Powerlogix CPU

are all G3s going to lose support ?

if that's true i'll be buying a G4 (on a really tight budget, though)

i'm at 10.4.7 right now
  2. adamb100 macrumors regular

Oct 26, 2005
    Milwaukee Wisconsin
    I wouldnt be suprised if the G3's are canned from 10.5. If they are, upgrade to a Intel Mac. :)
  3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

Apr 29, 2005
    San Francisco
    It won't be orphaned necessarily, but it is probably going to run slower than 10.4.7 does.

Is the G4 available to buy right now? Or can you wait and see what happens with 10.5? Cause I just say wait.
  4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Stand a good chance of killing Apple off the G3s -- or an AGP requirement.

But if they do keep them ... a DVD capable drive will be a requirement.

The biggest change should be Apple's complete switch to DVDs for future OS releases, no CD replacement expected at all this time round.

As GimmeSlack12, wait until it is released publically though.
  5. btc thread starter macrumors member

Jan 29, 2006
    i have a DVD player, that's how I installed 10.4.x

this machine would probably 'rock and roll' on OS 9.x but i want to run OS X only

i need to save my pennies and buy a G4, probably at least the Sawtooth model but i should wait until Apple announces specs for 10.5

there could be 1 or 2 more upgrades before 10.5 i suppose.

has there been any kind of date for 10.5 release ?
  6. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Jan 7, 2003
    Washington, DC
    How would it be orphaned if it still runs 10.4? Sure, it won't have the newest system software. But it's also not the newest hardware. It will be a while under 10.5 before third-party software will not run except on 10.5 and higher.
  7. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

I think G3's will not be orphaned in 10.5, only because the iBook G3 was only retired 3-4 years ago. But Apple may surprise us, I would not be shocked to see G3's dropped in 10.5
  8. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Feb 10, 2006
    Most new programs run from 10.3.x forward. If the next gen of programs (think CS3) drop support for 10.3.x they will probably still keep support for 10.4.x. You won't be stranded for several more years, which should be enough time for you to save your money and upgrade.
  9. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    They're not going to can all G3s, since a lot of relatively recent iBooks use them. I wouldn't be that surprised to see an AGP requirement to knock the B&Ws and early iMacs off the bottom, though. Then again, there's a good chance that you'll be able to get it to install and run just fine with a program like XPostFactor that allows install on unsupported systems. Remember there are people running OSX on ancient 9500s, and 10.3 (and 10.4, I think) can be installed on beige G3s using this.

It's also worth noting that from some stuff I read, Apple has finally firmed up the core OS APIs with 10.4, so there will be less apps that require the latest OS to run properly. That is, up until now they've been in serious flux, so every new version of the OS added a bunch of features that programmers could take advantage of, but would not be available on earlier OS versions. That is, at least in THEORY (perhaps not in practice), not going to happen as much now--programs will generally be more flexible with backward compatibility.

And remember, even now almost everything runs on at least 10.3, and a lot of stuff still runs on 10.2.
  10. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

Mar 30, 2006
    East of the Mississippi
    Not entirely, but it won't support the new Super Duper Ripple effect.
  11. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

Apr 29, 2005
    San Francisco

Yeah, I was saying it won't be orphaned. I guess you agree with me then.
  12. VanNess macrumors 6502a

Mar 31, 2005
    According to this rumor, the hardware requirements for Leopard will be the same as Tiger.

Take this article for what it's worth, but I do think the Leopard hardware requirements reported are accurate. Right now, Apple can't afford to marginalize it's next OS to a relatively limited set of recently produced machines. It has to sell to the widest audience of Apple box owners that it possibly can in order to gain rapid adoption of Leopard in Appleland, and, of course, massive Leopard sales numbers. Apple invests an enormous amount of money for developing these so-called point OS releases, and the more machines you scratch of the list raises the likelihood of reduced sales (and adoption) if the owners of those machines aren't ready to invest in the latest hardware.