Will my older software run in OS X?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 3girlz, Oct 25, 2005.

1. 3girlz macrumors newbie

Hello, I have a question, I hope I don't sound too, much like a newbie (although I am one!)
    I am running a G4 with OS 10.1 but have never really used it, I am still running OS 9.22 (I know... I need to get with it) I'm currently using Quark 5, Illustrator 9, Acrobat 4 and Pshop 6. I have finally decided that I need to switch and get going in OS X. Will my older software run in OS X? If so will I have to reload the software in 10 or will I still be able to access and use it?
    I have to admit... I'm not that technically inclined, always worried that I will screw something up and not know how to fix it! hoping to learn alot!
    Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You have an easy way of finding out, by rebooting the Mac into OSX. But the short answer is yes, you should be able to run all of this software in OSX or the Classic Environment. From personal experience I can tell you that Illustrator 9.0 works fine in Classic.

3. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Technically, no. However, there's an emulator in OS X called Classic that runs pre-OS X software. The programs you mentioned work pretty well that way, but they work better when they're OS X native. That would mean upgrading them, though.

--Eric

4. 3girlz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the help.
    I guess I'll have to just try and see what I come up with, or upgrade.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

IJ Reilly is correct. Classic runs most MacOS 9 apps just fine. However, it is not an emulator. Classic runs PPC code on PPC hardware.