Will my powerbook 170 cope with system 7.6.1?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by htg, Feb 10, 2010.

1. htg
    macrumors regular

May 2, 2009
    This like the third thread i've made in a matter of days. I was wondering whether my powerbook 170 with 4mb of ram would be able to cope with system 7.6.1. I don't want it to be really slow, I'm currently running system 7.0.1 and it goes really fast but I want a new system so is it better to go with a system like 7.5.3 or can I go with 7.6.1 and not lose much speed?

Also would I be able to install 7.6.1 directly on 7.0.1 or would I have to go through system 7.5?

2. macrumors regular

Apr 19, 2005
    Some old memories here. I had a PB duo 210 from that era that came with System 7. I don't remember if it had 4MB or 8MB of RAM. I know I had the memory upgraded from what was standard. I recall upgrading to System 7.1 with no problems. I also remember upgrading to System 7.5. As I recall I did a custom install to 7.5 because it was a much larger program than 7.1 and there was concern about having enough RAM to operate efficiently. I did not install all the fonts and printer drivers. I can't offer any advice about 7.6 on your PB.
  3. macrumors P6

Jan 24, 2010
    It can run 7.6.1. It will be very slow with only 4 Mb of ram. I'm thinking your best bet is 7.5.5. You can download the disk images for 7.5.5 from Apple.