Will my Powerbook work using World Adapter Kit in England???

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mohmandm, Nov 8, 2004.

1. mohmandm macrumors member

Hi, I was wondering if this will do the trick for my study abroad program to England. http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=M8794G/B
    I read a post earlier on here that talked about a G5 desktop power supply burning up. I just want to make sure I don't fry my new Powerbook so I was wondering if any of you guys know for sure if I can use that world adapter kit for my laptop and be safe with the 220V outlets in London.

2. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

You'll be fine, I'm using one right now. The laptop power converters are build to accept either voltage (you'll notice that there's a stated range of 100—240 volts indicated on the bottom of the power supply).

3. garybUK Guest

garybUK

Will be fine and its not 220v here its 240v @ 50hz its 220v on the continent

4. Enigma macrumors member

Actually, officially voltages have been harmonised across Europe to 230V, but in reality there's still slight differences and the tolerance is roughly -10% +6% in continental Europe and -6% +10% in the UK, so in effect there's little change.

5. camobag macrumors regular

camobag

I used the same kit when i travelled to Germany and it worked perfectly. Never trust any other kind of converter--why? If something does happen when you use the apple converter and it somehow damages your computer you have a much better advantage in getting a refund because it's apple's own product. Just some my own two bits.

6. mohmandm thread starter macrumors member

7. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

If you want my opinion, it's a waste of money to go with that kit. What are the chances that you ever need to use all of those adapters? Just go to a travel store and pick up an adapter for converting US to UK. $5.

You're Powerbook comes with a transformer that is compatible with 50-60 Hz, 100-240V. That pretty much covers every kind of electricity that you'll get (unless you plug into an industrial 460V source). Make sure your transformer says "50-60 Hz, 100-240V" before you go plugging it in. I'm sure it does, but that's my disclaimer.

Save yourself the cash.

8. Mac|Photo macrumors member

The only problem with that is what if you travel to another country while on business to the UK?
    I am heading to France for 3 months on business in March and I plan to travel on the weekends because I have never been to this region of Europe. My question, since I have never been there, is does each country have its own plug style or does all of Europe have a uniform style so you would only need one adapter?
    The Apple converter kit is only $35, that is not much in comparison to the *book you just bought and according to your $5 logic (which I will put faith in) that is 7 countries worth of converters...so I don't know if its worth it your way or the Apple way, but they seem quite close in the long run.
    Either way, $5 to $35 is not a huge range in comparison to $900-$2200.
    Just my two .02

9. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I was responding to the original poster who was only studying in the UK.

As for your situation, I'm pretty sure that you would need a different adapter for France. Most of Europe (Western Europe at least) uses the same type of plug. UK uses a different one.

As for the Apple kit, the link that mohmandm provide was $39, not $35. Yeah, not a big difference. I'm sure you could go to any travel store and find a "world kit" for much less than $39.

Here's one from Sharper Image that's only $10. Of course it's not in stock. It also only has 5 plugs as opposed to six, but you'd probably not need it anyways. It's probably the 3-plug Italian one (I bought one and could find a plug in Italy to use it - waste of $7).

One other thing to consider. A lot of people may tell you that you need a converter to use your stuff overseas. While that might be true of a hair dryer or iron, most portable electronics have the ability to take both frequencies and voltages.

EDIT - Here's a great site that I used before I traveled to Europe a few years ago. I wanted to make sure my digital camera could be charged in France, Italy, and Switzerland. LINK

10. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

The problem with shape adapters is that they actually have a greater tendency to break down, or just not work at all. The one my girlfriend was using sparked when put into an outlet for absolutely no reason. The Apple World Travel Adapter kit gives 6 heads for the Portable Power Adapter, or iPod Power Adapter. This is the equivalent to buying a 2 prong power cable (which is a viable option, just not as stylish), whereas the kits suggested pass signal from prong to prong. We've had a number of exchange students come into the store, wondering why their laptops would not charge. With every single one, it was because the shape adapter they had purchased had failed. I sold them an $8 cable, and all was done. For a PC laptop, go to the destination country, and pick up a power cable there. It's standard fare there, but an exotic item here. Make sure you know whether your adapter is 2 or 3 prong. Apple adapters are 2 prong if you have the white brick, and 3 prong if you have the yo-yo. But, again, the different heads are much more stylish than a generic black cable attached to your adapter.