Will MYST IV run on PB 1.5 w SuperDrive

Discussion in 'Games' started by stump, Oct 8, 2004.

1. stump macrumors newbie

I am wondering if anyone knows whether the new MYST IV will run on the Powerbook 1.5 with the SuperDrive? I have spoken with UBISoft tech support and they are aware of some of the problems with DVD-RW drives. They don't have many games for the Mac platform and were not real familiar with such issues. So, I thought I would ask if anyone has actually installed the game and has run it successfully on this Powerbook model.

Thank you.

2. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Short answer, YES.
    Long, That is one of the faster macs out today, it "should" run anything. And as for issues with the superdrive, I highly doubt they didn't test it on a variety of hardware. You should be fine.

3. aplasticspork macrumors regular

it runs perfectly on my 800 Mhz imac with superdrive, of course its too slow to run at full resolution cuz i only have a 32 Mb GeForce 2 MX, but i can have all of the eye candy on with the resolution at 800x600 :)

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

5. CaptainHaddock macrumors 6502

Runs great on my 1.25 GHz iMac, so I'm sure it'll be fine on your Powerbook.

6. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

i never got into myst, it seemed like the type of game my dad would be good at.

(i play baulders gate with my dad regularly btw)

7. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

8. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

Well I tried to run the demo that was on a Macworld cover cd and it crashed my powerbook, completely locked-up...etc.

I had started playing the game, returned to the menu, started a new game, said "no" to the request (that flickered wildly) to restart the previous game, noticed the graphics were all over the place, tried to exit, couldnt, hit command-q and da-daah the machine froze.

After hitting and holding the power button the Pbook turned off and then I powered back up normally, deleted the Myst demo folder, ejected the disc and threw it in the bin.

Hopefully when the full retail version is available such problems will be resolved, because I Luuuuurrrrrvvvveeee Myst, but I am obviously a little wary now....
    Vanilla

9. elliotay macrumors regular

The full retail version is already available. I have it and have been playing it on my 1.5 GHZ powerbook with combo drive for about a week now. It plays beautifully except for one issue. One of the world you get to warp to has a giant ship wreckage in it, well at different spots in the level if I linger too long and look around Myst unexpectedly quits. It's happened 3 or 4 times maybe. It's VERY annoying. Anyone else have this problem?

10. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

Well I went out and bought the game today. It loaded fine and seems a LOT more stable than the demo that crashed my PowerBook previously.

However I am noticing a certain "stickiness" in the motion, its definitely not smooth flowing graphics, like when I watch a DVD film. Its not dramatic enough to cause me grief but it is a little disappointing as I do have the highest spec'd PBook available.

Great game though, its nice to be back in the Myst world.
    Vanilla

11. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

I have had the same problem in the exact same way. It's very inconsistent. I close all other apps, and it seems to help. I hope they have a bug fix soon.

With that said, I LOVE THIS GAME. It is indeed great to be in the Myst world again. haven't been there since the original Myst in college.

12. dotcomlarry macrumors regular

Well, if you're interested, Best Buy has a 10th Anniversary Edition of Myst that has Myst (tho it's a 'better' edition... don't recall which one), Riven, and Exile on three DVDs for only $20.

13. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

Well I've just been surfing around the UBI forums and found out that some people are experiencing the slight stuttering/stickiness I mentioned earlier when playing Myst on a PowerBook and others have been lucky.

I also came across an update minimum spec page which states the following for supported graphic cards:

"* ATI Radeon 7500 to 9600 or better
    * NVIDIA GeForce 2/4/FX families

Laptop models of these cards not fully supported. These chipsets are the only ones that will run this game."

Needless to say my PowerBook has a ATI mobility Radeon 9700 which may well be the reason for my problem. I'm a little disappointed to be honest, I kinda figured that owning the latest version of a PowerBook would mean that I could easily play Myst, but not so apparantly. I just hope that eventually they issue a fix that does properly support "mobility" graphic cards.

In the meantime I'll just have to suffer stuttering video....

Vanilla

14. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Along this line: Has anyone tried it on the TiBook G4 1GHz (the one with the ATI Radeon Mobility 9600)? Should I expect any success?