Will Nanotechnology change the world?

Discussion in 'Community' started by wdlove, Nov 25, 2002.

1. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    Michael Crichton, author of "Prey"

"A nanorobot with a camera, sent into a blood vessel could change health care"

"Such man made machines would be 1000 times smaller than the diameter of a human hair"

"Many people, including myself, are quite queasy about the consequences of this technology," says K. Eric Drexler

Our history of technology goes back 2 million years or more, started with making tools of bone & stone. Technology is a mixed blessing.

Tiny camera the size of a particle of dust could fly over Iraq, send pictures back, & not be detected. It couldn't be shot down a bullet would fly right through it.

Scientists are working on a new class of organism for more than 10 years. These organisms are designed by humans, but they will reproduce themselves and evolve. This discovery could be larger than the industrial revolution, we need to prepare now.

The US government is spending more than $600 million a year on nanotechnology.

These 21th century man made machines are on the order of 100 nanometers, or 100/billionth of a meter. These machines would be 1000 times smaller in diameter than the human hair.

The potential benefits would be: tiny robots in the artery of humans able to cut away plaque; deliver powerful cancer fighting drugs to an individual cell, leaving healthy cells intact. Abilty to repair the knee, repair teeth, & cosmetic change to hair color.

A personal computer could be painted on your arm.

Convert trash dumps to energy.

Move a house on the back of a million nanomachines.

Nanotechniques are in use today to make sunscreens, stain resistant fabrics, and composite materials in cars.

Experts predict that self producing machines are only a decade away, should begin to prepare now.

History shows that man waits till an accident happens to pass a law. There are no laws on the books at present. With self reproducing machines, we can't afford to wait!
  2. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Jan 19, 2002
    Of course it will.

ICs have changed the world in the last 40 years (changed the tubes in your radio lately?).

Nanotech will do the same over the next ?? years.

Of course the implications for malicious use are huge, but hopefully we will regain some of our privacy rights in the future...
  3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    It will only change the world in small ways. :)

Perhaps, nanotechnology would help Motorola with their chip manufacturing processes. Then again, they might be beyond help.

Seriously, I would expect healthcare to be the biggest recipient of the technologies. Imagine that cancer could be eaten away rather than being burned with radiation and the remaining tissue could be knitted together afterwards.
  4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    I wouldn't expect to see nanotech take off any time soon, especially tiny little nanomachines running around in our blood. As for nanoflyers taking pictures over countries, why bother when you have satellites - and as for resolution, well, images take up lots of data, you're not going to store much on something that small.

At this point its all potential and speculation - sort of like the G5 :(

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    i think it will definitely affect the world in big ways, tho it'll probably be a novelty outside of medicine until it's turned into a weapon. That's the problem with technology... and i just can't *wait* to find out what kind of weapons they'll devise... :(

6. Kid Red macrumors 65816

Dec 14, 2001
    Yes nanos will be everywhere. Hell, they are into stuff already (just can't think of examples)
  7. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Feb 24, 2001
    I expect that around 2020 they will be used for espionage. A few decades later when they are declassified they will probably be used for medical applications.
  8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    Medical science will only be a small part of nano tech - already development of carbon nanotubes have been made up to 20cm in the lab that eventually be used to make super strong cables (for use in a space elevator for one thing). But also as making stronger buildings in general. We'll probably see this before we see automated or intelligent nanotech.

As for weapons, well, there really isn't a limit there, except our knowledge and understanding of the human body.

9. rebscb macrumors member

Sep 6, 2002
    nanotech - potentially staggering...

I teach in a university science and technology program. I am presently lecturing on nanotechnology and its potential social implications... potentially staggering... and not necessarily in a good way...

Bill Joy - chief scientist at Sun Microsystems has written a piece on this that is quite sobering...

check this out....

10. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    Re: Will Nanotechnology change the world?

we will see some real life over the counter products in the next fifty years

and in the furthest reaches of nanotechnology, we may see liquid processors with the use of a laser and have an on, maybe on, maybe off, and off possibilities, unlike the binary of just on and off, and this will allow machines to be "smarter"

self coding and later self realized machines are predicted by the naval postgraduate school by 2200, which means we may actually see star trek type realities which fit the time table of the original series

and with all this technology, kirk, or someone like him, will get to score a lot of alien chicks

and dr. mccoy, or someone like him, will keep his captain free of any negative effects of any possible std's he may get

but being that i won't make it to the beginning of the 2100s, i could just hope for crude implementations of nanotechnology and maybe hope for ai for my great, great, great grandchildren
  11. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    According to experts, reproducing machines are only a decade away. The same ones are saying we must prepare for their arrival. The failure to look ahead is worrisome to experts.

Eric Drexler, Foresight Institute an nanotechnology expert
    "There are many people, including myself, who are quit queasy about the consequences of this technolopgy for the future. We are talking about changing so many things that the risk to society handling it poorly through lack of preparation is very large."

We have lived for years with self replicating entities, computer viruses. We need to learn to put hackers in jail. Errant biotechnologists should join them.
  12. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    science fiction, my friend

at least according to my friend with his BS and MS in electronics from MIT and MS from MIT and PhD from Stanford in artificial intelligence

...at least for self replicating code...it can't be done this century and at the very soonest, at the end of next century

we are talking about quadrillions raised to the quadrillions of possibilites for a machine to go thru to practice what we know as judgement...there are not even that many atoms in the known universe

a machine may know which way is left from right, but will not know, at least soon, why your girlfriend likes roses on valentine's day

a spy satellite from naval post graduate school or fleet numerical can see a square building and maybe judge it as a missle silo, but finding a motive for it as it relates to the geopolitical meanderings of tin horn dictators and their possible motives based on the personality types and political climate are judgements our computers cannot fathom

the world's best computer systems will take days and even weeks to break an 8th character in an encrypted password from the kerberos v.5 (developed by MIT) in a windows 2000 server setup

a thinking, feeling, judging computer is 200 years away...gene roddenberry made a good yarn to make us think that 1960s hollywood sci-fi computers were as people

there is a long way to go, but it will be done...but not in ten years, my friend

i hope i am wrong in my graduate studies and you are right and compTIA and the six regionally accredited bodies which look at schools, and computer based schools of late, are totally barking up the wrong tree

i loved the movie AI and Millenium Man and maybe in this 21st century it will all come to pass and people like me who are traditional pissants will be proven wrong because we listened to newton and einstein

find a whole number between two and four and you are in our universe...find a whole number between two and three and you are in the realm of finding a shortcut for artificial intelligence:p ;) :eek:
  13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    You here about this listening to Art Bell? Strange stuff, the site is a bit low tech with somewhat interesting articles - but I agree with jefhatfield that we won't see self replicating nanotechnology any time soon. Sure research is being done, but it truly is science fiction at this point.

And you should post the links if you want to back up an arguement.

14. scem0 macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    How would nano-technology change dumps of trash into energy?
    Seems kind of weird to me, but I think that we need to figure out
    a lot better of a way to dispose of our trash other then sending
    it to landfills which our bad for our environment (and the people
    living around them), and they are just growing and growing. If
    they were converted to energy then we would solve some energy
    problems we have. But I think the best replacement to current
    energy sources is antimatter energy. But that is a different topic-
    an interesting one at that.