!!!will new 12'' ibook get superdrive!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by minkis, Apr 19, 2004.

1. minkis macrumors regular

i am wondering if i get a new 12" ibook, if i can get a super drive installed on it from apple since the new 14"s have them as a option, if not could i get someone else to install one. thanks

2. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

No, Apple will not install a superdrive on the new 12" iBooks. You could get another company to install it (but that company has slipped my mind).

3. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

!!!no!!!

(Sorry... wishful thinking! Apple likes keeping its low-end, 12" models neutered, unfortunately.)

4. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

Funny, this is what all you people said the other day when I said the new 14'' iBooks would likely have a Superdrive.

5. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

It amazes me how people immediately assume that Apple is trying to screw us all over when their track record shows they care more about consumers than any other company.

The iBook 12" is the low-end model and SuperDrives are costly, in addition its takes time, effort and money to custom build a machine like that, sticking in a SuperDrive isn't like popping in some RAM.

My guess is they looked at the market, looked at the cost of adding the drive as an option, factoring in labor, space, etc. and decided that there wasn't enough interest to justify it. Simple buisness move, nothing so sinister as Apple crippling their laptops.

Unfortunately Apple doesn't have the volume numbers like DuLL where they can pump out enough sales to make the kind of customization an option yet.

Engineering is all about tradeoffs. The iBook's design sacrifices the ability to add a superDrive in this case, maybe not physically, but because of the over all effects.

6. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Ah, but I specified 12" models specifically. That includes both iBooks and PowerBooks. :)

7. brhmac macrumors regular

Blah blah blah

Blah blah blah.

You've drank the Kool Aid. Fine.

If Apple can put the SuperDrive in a 12-inch PB at 1 Ghz with a G4, it can put a SuperDrive in a 12-inch iBook with the same 1Ghz G4.

Your comparison between Dell's market share and Apple's market share only underscores the fallacy of your argument. To what "over all effects" do you allude?

And how exactly does Apple demonstrate its compassion for us? By selling us iPods with batteries that go bust within a year? By selling iPod Minis with defective headphone connections? By selling 15-inch PBs with the infamous white spots? By selling us iBooks with defective logic boards?

Get a grip. Apple is a company, not a deity.

Drink the Kool Aid if it makes you happy, but don't try to make someone else feel stupid for asking a question. The question was: Can I get a SuperDrive in a 12-inch iBook.

Your answer: Mean-spirited blah, blah, blah.

8. brhmac macrumors regular

It amazes me...

Not one person accused Apple of anything. The person asked how to get a SuperDrive in a 12-inch iBook.

What amazes me is how anyone who asks a question that deviates from what Apple espouses as the gospel is labeled as a whiner. Even when the person doesn't, there's always someone on this board willing to stand up and throw out a red herring.

Get a grip.

It's just a computer.

9. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

brhmac, I was reffering to Hemingrays comment, not the original post. Please read the whole thread before throwing around accusations.

10. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

My guess is the real reason has more to do with keeping up sales on the 12" powerbook than any technical issue with putting a superdrive in a 12" ibook. It's called market segmentation. It's also why the ibooks have lower clocked processors...

11. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

that's exactly why you can't get a SuperDrive in the 12" iBook - because then it would eliminate one of the biggest reasons people would consider 12" PB over 12" iBook.

12. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

what you said was you hope 14" iBook would have a SuperDrive. you didn't say it's likely to have it after the update. ;)

13. minkis thread starter macrumors regular

ok, since i know now that apple isn't planning on making a superdrive 12"ibook, i thought i saw someone that said they knew how to get the superdrive else where, does anyone know where? thanks

14. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

mcetech... http://www.mcetech.com/

mind you, it's more expensive, $300, not to mention the hassle of not having your laptop for a few days, potential damages during transit, etc...

i believe this will NOT void your warranty (since it's an apple authorized dealer...?), but you should probably ask them before you do this.

for $100 more than 12" iBook with SD, you can have the lower level 14" iBook with SD. (the price difference is actually $75 if you upgrade the 12" iBook to have 40 GB HD like the 14"... it's even smaller if you qualify for edu. discount - then it's $180 upgrade to get the SD...)

15. minkis thread starter macrumors regular

yea, you are probaly right, i might just save up till summer break and then buy a 14in ibook with superdrive. thanks

16. minkis thread starter macrumors regular

and i am eligible for the education thing to so thats even less money. thanks :D :) :D :) :cool:

17. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

Some companies do aftermarket installation; however, this may void the warranty.

18. minkis thread starter macrumors regular

i fogot to post it but i didn't get enough money for the 14 so i got the 12in with combo, and might do some small stuff to it but i am mostly waiting for a g5 powerbook. if anyone sees some internal superdirves for 12in ibook tell me. thanks