Will Office 2004 work on a macbook?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Amy2005, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Amy2005 macrumors regular

Hi

I am thinking about buying a macbook and I'm just wondering if my Office 2004 will work on there, I bought it in late 2004/Early 2005.

Thank you
    Amy

2. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Is it Office for Mac? If it is then it will run, though perhaps a little slowly (but completely usable, especially if you have a bit more than the standard RAM) as it's not native to Intel yet.

If it's the Windows version it will not run unless you install Windows on your MacBook as well.

3. mopppish macrumors 6502

Seems to run fine, although I've only used Word and Excel so far. It takes a little while (as in 6-8 icon bounces vs. 2 :rolleyes: ) to open the first time, but after that it's much quicker. I've heard that importing large images takes a while, but we're still talking "comparable to G4" speed. In my limited experience, everything else is actually quite snappy. Faster than the 1.33ghz ibook G4 I just sold. For simple stuff, it actually seems to run about as well as it did on the 2.0ghz imac G5 I also just sold.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Same with me, though I prefer Pages, (as I can write math's equations more easily with it).

5. Amy2005 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for your help, I was hoping it would work :)

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you are writing math equations the only way to go is LaTeX/TeXShop.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Not when I can use LaTeX from pages (using LaTeXiT and the Services menu), that is much better IMO as you don't have to do the whole document in LaTeX itself.

8. Cockroach macrumors 6502

Not that I've tried LaTeX or Pages yet, but I recently learned there is an equation editor in word, and that is pretty good. If only I'd known about it for all the years I did maths/physics coursework. (Don't need to write equations at Uni, or so I hope).

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

In terms of equation editor goodness, in my experience Word <<Open Office<<LaTeX (I did my A-Level coursework in OpenOffice 2 beta for that equation editor as word's sucks so much in comparison), now I'm not sure where MathType (the expensive word version fits in) but still.

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Word's Equation Editor is a cut-down version of Design Science's MathType. It has been bundled with Word since the Spanish Revolution. Apple bundled a version of Equation Editor with AppleWorks. There are several visual equation editors available for the Mac. IMHO, the best is MathEQ. As Expressionist, its original name, MathEQ established the standards that all others follow. Several years ago, its developer saw fit to add activation to this wonderful editor. As a result, MathEQ is just a little less wonderful.