Will Office:Mac work on the new intel computers?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MattyMac, Mar 26, 2006.

1. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

I am about to buy the next revision of the ibook for my mother..however she wants to use microsoft word...I have the current office mac for my powerbook and extra keys...will this work on the intel ibook to come? Or is there a different office mac out for these new intel computers.
    Thanks for your help.

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Microsoft Office is not Universal yet, but that just means that it will run under Rosetta. Therefore it will work perfectly fine. It seems that Rosetta is doing a good job at the moment of keeping speeds relatively quick, so I would recommend that you go ahead with the purchase of the iBook, or whatever it will be called on the next revision.

EDIT: If you need more proof, I encourage you to do a search or two at Macworld.com for rosetta, intel, and microsoft office. There are enough articles there that mention that MS Office will take only a slight performance hit under Rosetta.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

4. rumbletum macrumors regular

I'm using Office on an intel Mac, and it runs fine, and I haven't noticed any slowdown compared to when I was running it on my G5 iMac Rev.a.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Well like the other posters have said it currently runs well via Rosetta. The first startup of an Office application takes about 35-40 seconds. After that the startups are nearly native fast. I've opened up Word and waited. I then open Excel and it hops to life instantly.

The CPU and memory overhead is a lot higher though. You're going to want at least 1 GB of RAM.

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

And remember to update it. They just released a new patch via the auto updater... :)

7. MattyMac thread starter macrumors 68000

MattyMac

office 2004...thanks for all the help. So, just to clarify, I can use one of the keys from the office mac 2004 that I put on my powerbook to go on my mom's future intel ibook (or macbook)? Thanks again for all of your help. You guys are simple amazing!

8. MattyMac thread starter macrumors 68000

MattyMac

haha...also ...Why am I so excited about buying my mom a macbook (ibook)??!! It wont even be for myself:confused:

...is this normal?!:p

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Yeah you have one license for YOUR desktop and one for YOUR laptop.

10. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Student and Teacher edition comes with three licenses. (Three product keys) that are good for three computers in one house. (Sort of like Aplpe's Family Packs.)

And I'm running v.X on my MacBook Pro just fine. (I never bothered upgrading to 2004, and now that we know '04 won't be Universal, I'm not going to.)

11. MattyMac thread starter macrumors 68000

MattyMac

actually I have three liscenses and why wouldnt I be able to use it on MY mother's laptop?

12. MattyMac thread starter macrumors 68000

MattyMac

Wait...I have 2004 ...are you saying it wont work with the new intel book??:confused:

13. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

Dont worry ppl around here want to be the priate police.

14. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

We know. :p

Don't worry v.2004 will work fine. Now you just have to wait until a MacBook is even released.

15. kugino macrumors 65816

kugino

don't worry, 2004 works perfectly fine on the intel books. when he said "it isn't universal" he meant that it doesn't run natively on the intel machines, but rather runs under rosetta. running under rosetta uses a bit more memory and might be a tad slower, but if you max out the ram (which i recommend) it won't be a problem at all. even with stock ram it will run fine, albeit a bit slower.

16. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

It works faster on my mbp than on my pb. Weird no?

17. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Well, without turning this thread into a license discussion I would just say that those three licenses are for your personal computers. If your mother lives in our household I would think it would be legit, if not then you are not really following the license agreement as I understand it. There are three so you could use the software on up to three different comptuers but you are the one using it on those computers.

(I am sure somebody will find something wrong or a complaint about what I wrote above):rolleyes:

18. lssmit02 macrumors 6502

Doesn't the EULA for office (full version, not academic) still allow you to install one copy on a desktop and one on a laptop? It used to.

19. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I believe the full version has a license for a workstation and a portable device. Still, you can call the laptop yours. :D

20. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Yeah, Student & Teacher is valid for three computers in one household, the other editions are good for one desktop and one laptop used primarily by the same person. That means my home eMac and my MacBook Pro would count (but I'm using the edu version, because we qualify for that, and I can install it on the 'spare' computer, too.)

Heck, the 'full' license makes it legal to install one copy on a desktop computer at the office, and also on your laptop. The idea is that you won't be using it on both computers at the exact same time. (Hence the 'primarily by the same person' part.)

21. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Very well written explaination!

22. MattyMac thread starter macrumors 68000

MattyMac

alright good...haha yeah we do need to wait...but I have a feeling that it should be soon! hopeully...

23. iBunny macrumors 65816

I use it just fine and notice no issues. It certainly is faster than it was on my 1.33GHz G4 iBook.... Even under rosetta ;)

24. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Yeah, I just popped in the version my college hands out. I guess it's the Standard Edition.

25. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

oh, more license quibbles:
    actually the "full" license doesn't prohibit you from using both your desktop and laptop at the same time but it does say that the software on the laptop is for the EXCLUSIVE use of the primary user of the desktop.....and further the software license is not to be shared.........so all of that means that you really arent supposed to put YOUR software on a laptop for somebody else's use....even if it is your mother