Will "old" airport cards work with Apple TV?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kavika411, Jan 10, 2007.

1. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Thanks for reading this. I may use the wrong terminology, but hopefully you will understand my inquiry. I have a pre-intel Power Mac with an internal airport card. Will that card work with the new Apple TV? Does anyone know? Thank you.

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

i would think so but it would take longer to stream the content

i would not try to sync my iTunes collection over 11Mb but 54Mb would be ok

3. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

It's just a software update that is needed to make your airport card "n" compatable, included with the AE Base Station (not sure if it's included with the Appletv though).

4. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

nope he has a powermac G4 or G5 and they come with 54G not N

no update for them cards

5. bartelby macrumors Core

So an Airport Extreme card will be software upgradeable to "n"?

6. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

To 'live stream' you need 'n'.

To stream then watch from the AppleTV HD I guess 'g' is good enough. Probably will take 5 min to copy 1GB movie via 'g'. Not sure.

Hopefully the existing cards will be upgradable to 'n'.

Strange though that the other night I watched Pirates2 on my TV, streamed 'live' from my G5 via frontrow on my MB on a 'g' Airport connection. No problem whatsoever. ???

7. colocolo macrumors 6502

Only on the newest Intel Macs.

Airport Extreme cards on all PPC Macs will remain as 802.11g as it is not a software issue in that case.

8. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Oh. SO my CD MB doesn't have an "n" compatable card?:(

9. cyberddot macrumors 6502

cyberddot

No, the incompatibility issue would be with Airport cards in PPC chipped Macs (...G4, G5 chips) ...you've got an Intel Core Duo (not PPC) chipped MacBook so you have compatability. :)

10. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Does it? I thought we didn't know if the CD Macs had the 'n' chipset...

11. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

thats right Core Duo macbook's do not have N in

12. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

It's all on Apple's site, guys:

13. kavika411 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Thank you for all of your responses, especially Livefortoday for citing the above from the Apple store. Because I am completely dense on hardware, I hope you'll nonetheless indulge this question.
    Does that mean that, in the world of Apple desktop computers, only owners of a Mac Pro will be able to employ an internal airport card that will work with Apple TV?
    Again, sorry for my limited knowledge and possible redundency. I'm just frustrated that, if I am reading that correctly, I will have to buy an external airport thing for my 2.7 PowerMac.
    Thank you again for your time.

14. colocolo macrumors 6502

There are two issues at hand here:

1.- Does my computer have an 802.11n - capable card?

2.- Will my computer be able to communicate with Apple TV?

The answers, on your case:

1.- No
    2.- Yes

So don't worry too much. You probably won't be able to stream 720p, but you will be able to sync all your videos for later view.

15. kavika411 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kavika411

16. uNext macrumors 6502

It should work if i understand correctly apple TV is backwards compatible with a/b/g protocols.

The N draft will alow for streams to be smoother or faster.

17. OldSkoolNJ macrumors 6502

OldSkoolNJ

Pulling all the facts together here iin one post.

The Apple TV will pull from any PCs with the following -
    <<System requirements
    Mac or PC
    iTunes 7.1
    Mac: Mac OS X v10.3.9 or later
    PC: Windows XP Home/Professional (SP2)
    AirPort Extreme, Wi-Fi 802.11b, 802.11g, or 802.11n wireless network6 (wireless video streaming requires 802.11g or 802.11n), or 10/100BASE-T Ethernet network>>

SO yes even with the original Airport card it will work which was Wireless B. Then any PPC or Intel Mac with a Wireless G - Airport Extreme card it will also work with. Then you have the Macs with the Wireless N cards in them with out them being enabled which are -
    <<All Mac computers with Intel Core 2 Duo and Intel Xeon processors except the 17-inch iMac with 1.83GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor support the 802.11n technology in AirPort Extreme. These 802.11n-compatible Mac systems require enabler software that is included on the AirPort Extreme CD.>>

SO yes most any computers with the right software on them will work perfectly. Depending on your network speeds, results will vary. This setup is "most likely" optimized for the new N wireless. I would say for the best results if you have older Original Airport try for a wired setup.

Kevin

18. jtown macrumors 6502

The question isn't whether it will work. The question is whether it will work well. The Apple TV box will connect to 802.11b (Airport), 802.11g (Airport Extreme), and 802.11n but, in the spec sheet, Apple warns that 802.11g or 802.11n is required to stream video. 802.11b will probably have trouble sending data fast enough to stream high quality video to the Apple TV box.

Of course, that's just for streaming content. The device has a 40 gig hard drive that can be used to store content locally. Even if you're limited to an 802.11b connection between computer and Apple TV, it should still be possible to copy high quality content to the Apple TV and play it back just fine. Only catch is you'd have to wait until it finishes copying.

Of course, I suppose that depends on whether the content is copy protected and how Apple handles that eventuality.