Will PC Fonts work on a Mac using Microsoft Word?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by belsokar, Sep 5, 2006.

1. belsokar macrumors member

Jul 21, 2005
    I am about to buy a macbook pro, and my wife will be using it for some school work. She has year's of documents created in Microsoft Word that use alot of specialty fonts loaded up in Windows. While I know I can use bootcamp and just boot to windows whenever I need, I'd much rather avoid that and just be able to somehow import those fonts that she uses into Microsfot word for the mac...is that even possible?
  2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    TrueType fonts should work just fine. Others are hit-and-miss...but there are some free tools out there to help convert fonts. I'll let someone more knowledgeable about those things help you with that aspect of it.
  3. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    Fonts are not application-specific. They are available to all applications when placed in the /Library/Fonts/ or ~/Library/Fonts/ folders. On PPC-based Macs, fonts placed in the Classic Fonts folder are also available to all MacOS X applications. MacOS X natively supports all Mac fonts [except PostScript Type 3], Windows TrueType, PostScript Type 1, and OpenType. No conversion is necessary. Long story short, your wife's fonts should work fine on the new Mac.