Will price drop on 15" PB?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Dr. J, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Dr. J macrumors member

I was wondering if they are going to discount the 15" Powerbook? Any ideas?

2. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

they have a special... $1399 for a refurb 1.5 ghz 15" pbook.

3. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

They are pretty much locked at their current price scheme. The only way you're going to get a discount is to buy an older or refurbished model.

4. p0intblank macrumors 68030

I think prices should drop soon, just like the iMac G5's did. And soon after that, it'll be obselete.

5. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

yeah I'd keep an eye on refurbs for the next few weeks/months if your looking for a price drop.

6. T-Stex macrumors 6502

The current idea is to sell the 15" PowerBook "while supplies last". So, depending on how sales are going, you might see a discount, or you might see the 15" PowerBook disappear from the Apple Store. However, I don't think buying a refurbished model is a bad idea. I've only heard good things about it, and you get a decent discount.

7. Dr. J thread starter macrumors member

A friend had to have a MBP, so he wants to sale me his 1month old 15" PB with apple care for $1700. Is this a good deal? I will mainly use this computer for writing. I do not run apps that would require the MBP. When you say obselete, do you mean that future applications will not run on the old chips? I am looking to make the switch, but I have to have a laptop.

8. p0intblank macrumors 68030

The 15" PowerBook G4 retails for $1999, so $1700 sounds like a good deal. You could always encourage your friend to go a little lower, but that's just my opinion. As for future software being obselete, you don't have to worry about this for a few years. All future software will be Univery Binary, meaning it will run natively on either a PowerPC or Intel Mac. Eventually future Mac applications will be built to run only on the Intel Macs, but like I said, this is at least a few years away, so no need to worry about it.

Does that help?

9. Dr. J thread starter macrumors member

That helps alot. I just need something to get me by for the next year and a half. If they can somehow get windows running on a future MBP, I will buy one. Most of the Law schools that I have looked into discourage the purchase of a Mac. The Pb also has 1gb, I priced it in the apple store and with the education discount the same PB was almost 2,200.