Will Prices Drop on Processor Upgrades?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Pismonium, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Pismonium macrumors member

Maybe I'm sitting around thinking too much and over analyzing, but...

Now that Apple is releasing machines containing the Intel chip prices are obviously dropping in the PowerPC line and since this is happening does anyone forsee prices dropping in processor upgrades.

The reason I ask is that I was about to upgrade a Pismo and Sawtooth, yet will hold off if prices drop substantially. If prices drop enough on the newer Powerbook line, because of the Macbook being introduced, I may not upgrade my Pismo at all and instead purchase one of those.

Thanks for any help/advise.

2. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

If anything processor upgrade prices will go up. The market for them will diminish as all the old G4's get replaced with intel machines. People will then snap up these newer old computers rather than paying for a processor upgrade.

3. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Prices may well go up, but probably not because the market is smaller. Usually smaller demand means lower prices. The problem will be on the production side of things. how many chips will IBM/Moto be making to sell to upgrade makers. The supply side of things will get smaller probably, possibly causing prices to go up.

4. California macrumors 68040

California

Bargain with the upgrade company for a better price. I did.

5. Pismonium thread starter macrumors member

What type of bargaining did you do exactly? And who in one of those company's is capable of making a "deal."

6. California macrumors 68040

California

The owner. Find out. As my rich godfather once told me: "never hurts to ASK for a discount." He's right a lot of the time.