Will PSP knock out iPod? What should iPod do?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by fener, Oct 11, 2004.

1. fener macrumors regular

Nov 7, 2003
    During the month of November, Sony's highly anticipated portable gaming/music/video (media) center is coming out.

At first, it seems that PlayStation Portable (PSP) is not in the same category as iPod. Is that true? THe thing is, it is a portable gadget, and, most people do not spend extra dollars to buy separate gadgets. They always look for ALL IN ONE.

PSP's retail configurations are confirmed by Sony, and PSP is going kick some serious **tt:

FORMATS PSP Game (full function)
    UMD Audio (codecs: ATRAC3plus, PCM, <MPEG4 AVC>)
    UMD Video (codecs: MPEG4 AVC, ATRAC3plus, PNG

PSP has a gorgeous 4.3 " screen , with a 16:9 ratio, perfect for watching widescreen movies. It can play movies that use MPEG4 codec.

It can play music files that use MPEG4 codec.

PSP is also wireless:

MAIN I/O IEEE802.11b (Wi-Fi) standards
    USB 2.0 (Target)
    Memory Stick PRO Duo
    IR Remote (SIRCS standards)

As now, iPod is a big hit all around the world. Even it is lacking a colored screen, ability to view pictures and watch movies, it has a huge market share that makes all of its competitors envy.

iPod has seen minor updates since its debut. Better battery life, click wheel, ability to record, etc are of course great improvements. However, iPod didn't see any major updates, such as colored screen, user replaceable battery, support to play movies, support for wireless streaming etc.

PSP is aiming directly for the top, where iPod is currently located in the portable market.

Will Apple be able to hold onto the crown?
    Do you think minor updates are enough?
    What should Apple do/release in the near future?
    PSP is coming, oh yeah. Are you one of those enthusiasts?
  2. strider42 macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2002
    From what I can see, it doesn't have an internal hard drive for audio, it uses proprietary sony memory, up to about 1.8 gigs according to arstechnica.com Thats not that impressive.

And you're wrong, peopel don't spend extra money to get all in one devices. They spend extra money to get good devices. If the convergence makes sense, people will buy it. Do people really want a gaming machine and audio player. Maybe. The gaming aspect sure sucks the batteries down, which makes it a lot less useful. And if it still won't have the interface of iTunes or the iPod itself. And sorry no 4.3 inch screen is perfect for watching any kind of video. its way too small to be of any realy use for that. More useful would be the ability to connect to a TV, but of course, the size of the memory from wat 've read means you woudln't get much in the way of movies on there anyway. The PSP is also substantially alrger and heavier.

Sony is aiming at a totally different market in my opinion, and I don't really see anything that shoudl affect the iPod. its going after nintendo, not apple with this one.
  3. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Apr 16, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Agreed. I think Sony is marketing the PSP as a portable video game system, at least for now. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony does try to branch out, but I really don't think iPod has anything to worry about right now.

Nintendo, on the other hand, could have a problem. No one has been able to beat the GameBoy yet, but if anyone can do it, Sony can.
  4. Ugg macrumors 68000

Apr 7, 2003
    I'm not a gamer so PSP would not appeal to me at all. Nor do I want a gameboy/iPod/phone/PDA/Laptop. I love my iPod, it does everything I want it to do and more. My phone is great as it is and I don't want some huge and hugely complicated machine with a keyboard best suited to a 2 year old's fingers. I don't feel that I'm lugging around too much and don't want to pay a small fortune for the privilege of only carrying around one object.

With that said, the only way the iPod is going to come out on top is if Apple continually innovates. I don't see that as a problem, that is what they do best. Even though there may be a market for such a product, I think the major problem is one of battery life and small screen size. Until e-paper arrives, I'm not going to buy a portable digital video player. What's the point in spending hundreds of dollars just so that I can watch a movie on a miniscule screen?

I've been a little harsh in my assessment but I really do think that there need to be some major leaps in technology before such a device would appeal to enough buyers to make it profitable. I also don't see Apple going into the gaming market. Sony and MS have had a tough time making any money on their hardware.

There's also the issue of DRM. Sony has backed off from its exclusive use of ATRAC but the Sony music store doesn't seem to be drawing that many people in so...... I think such a multiuse machine is a ways away before it gains any significant user base. Of course, I could be wrong! I wasn't overly excited about the iPod when it came out but I don't think I could live without it now.
  5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    I don't think the PSP is even a threat to the Gameboy's supremacy in the handheld gaming market. I recall hearing lots of "N-Gage is going to topple GameBoy" type stuff not that long ago... :rolleyes:
  6. Bigheadache macrumors 6502

Mar 1, 2004
    Convergence between devices will happen, but like Strider says, the product still has to be good. If you want an example of market failure, look at the Nokia N Gage, in theory a phone combined with a game machine with a good brand like nokia should be a monster hit in the youth market, unfortunately its not a very well designed product.

Anyway, i don't believe Sony are capable of designing an iPod killer. Sony only dominate by being first in a segment (eg Walkman). Where they have had to follow they haven't been successful (eg memory stick technology to replace other media, minidisc players to replace discmans), either due to lack of following standards or making up proprietary ones and not licensing them widely to others. They only dominated with the original playstation by aiming at a slightly different market segment than nintendo and the console sector as a whole supports closed architectures and is conducive to restrictive licensing.
  7. pyrotoaster macrumors 65816

Dec 28, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    The PSP isn't even a threat to Nintendo, and that's the company Sony's trying to take out with it.

Here's what we know about the PSP:
    - It's not going to be available this holiday season (unlike the iPod, iPod mini, and Nintendo DS)
    - It's probably not going to have a very good battery life (Sony still won't comment on how long a battery can keep something as high-tech as the PSP powered)
    - It's going to rely heavily on a proprietary media (for games, movies, music, et cetera)
    - It ain't gonna be cheap ;)

In all fairness, an iPod isn't cheap either, but that hasn't stopped it from becoming the top mp3 player in the country.

The PSP is only going to appeal to high-end gamers who are willing to shell out the cash for it. Nintendo is going to stay dominant in the handheld gaming industry because the DS will be out in November and costs under $150 (estimates put the PSP at over $400).

Point is, the PSP is no threat to iPod. Don't worry. :D
  8. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    portable video has no place in the average consumer's life. that's why the iPod has remained audio-only. Where does the average person want video? Driving down the street? Jogging? At work? No, it's a niche product, until a better video system comes to market...

9. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

Apr 21, 2004
    OHhh I want the PSP. No not to replace the ipod, but the games looks really good.

In regards to the topic, two totally different mediums.
  10. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

Jun 4, 2003
    I don't see the PSP having anything to do with the iPod really, they're different devices marketed at different segments of consumers with different needs. If anyone should be concerned it's Nintendo, not Apple, and even then, Nintendo really has nothing to worry about in my opinion!

To me this is a non-issue - or am I missing something? :confused:
  11. Devie macrumors 6502a

Aug 30, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
  12. Coolvirus007 macrumors regular

Apr 27, 2004
    I used the PSP at the Tokyo Game Show and i have to, ITS AWESOME. Besides that, it will not affect the iPod because its not an MP3 player. It will kick gameboy advance's ass though regarding screen resolution and other tech specs.
  13. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

Mar 21, 2003
    Tech specs mean absolutely nothing though. Sega has almost always had technically superior gaming consoles compared to Nintendo. Where did it get them?

14. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

Oct 8, 2002
    The Bamboo Forest
    What is this N-Gage you speak of?

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    You know....the N-Gage!! Its that thing that does stuff....
  16. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

Jun 4, 2003
    ... not very well...
  17. Coolvirus007 macrumors regular

Apr 27, 2004
    That's my point. I would have said "It will kick Gameboy's ass." when I realized Gameboys are less expensive and has more people playing it that maybe, the PSP might not make it big. So in order to make my statement absolutely true, I added the "tech specs" bit.
  18. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    The more important thing is, most of those people subsequently realize that all-in-one gadgets suck.
  19. ½win½lin macrumors member

It is not entirely a matter of functionality. Music competes with movies and video games for the consumer buck.

Winter will soon be upon us. Christmas is coming. PSP and iPod are going to be in the shops.

The question is, which one is going to higher up the list on the letters to St. Nick?
  20. zelmo macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2004
    Mac since 7.5
    PSP is only coming out in Japan this fall. I think the rest of the world gets it in the Spring of '05.

PSP has darned little, if anything to do with iPod, anyway. No real convergence here people, move along.

Does anyone know if the DS, which is coming in November BTW, is marketed as the Nintendo DS or the Nintendo Gameboy DS? I think it'll make a difference to parents out looking for little Jimmy's new toy if it has the word Gameboy in the title.
  21. cmoney macrumors regular

Feb 4, 2002
    I'm looking forward to the PSP. And honestly I think it'll take over at least some of my iPod usage. I'm thinking that the PSP will take over the majority of my gaming. I just don't have the time anymore to sit down and plop in front of the TV for hours on end. But if I have a little gaming device, I can squeeze in some games here and there and use it for music while at the office, etc. I already do this with my Sidekick. And I know if I'm on a train, I don't see myself going through the hassle of playing my PSP, then switching it off, putting it away, hooking up my headphones to my iPod, go back to the PSP, etc. I'm gonna want one device. If the PSP can handle a gig of music, that'd be just enough to not get bored.

But aren't there rumors that the PSP won't be out this November after all? And besides, it's probably not gonna be around for this holiday season anyway.

Aside: my dream device? A Sidekick-like device with a keyboard and phone, a screen the size of the PSP, built-in iTunes support a la the Motorola/Apple thing they announced earlier this year, and make it black and sleek looking like the PSP, oh and throw in the megapixel camera from the Nokia 7610, all with integrated software syncing like Apple's app suite. I'd pay $1k for that device!
  22. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    Uh, have you been living under a rock forever? The GameBoy has been around for 13 years. (or 15 if you're in Japan ;))
  23. cmoney macrumors regular

Feb 4, 2002
    i want some adult games or at least something not aimed at 8 year olds. mary kate and ashley go to the mall is not my idea of a game (although you could now theoretically make that an adult game :eek: ). there are a few out there for the gameboy advance and that's why i've got a gameboy advance sp but still...
  24. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

Jun 4, 2003
    Well, if you want something with more of a mature rating you could always lobby Sony to release "Thrill Kill" on the PSP, since it never quite made it out on the PSX. ;) Ah, now that was a great game - maybe I'll fire it up again and get good old Tormentor and Cleetus back in action... what a beautiful game... :cool:
  25. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

Dec 3, 2003
    Southeastern Louisiana
    You mean November 2005, right? No way in hell it's gona be out in November of this year, or this year at all. The Nintendo DS will be though, and will grab the market :D

Bingo. And not only is there no internal HD, but you have to give Sony more money and buy their own memory product.

[sarcasm]Yay Metal Gear Card Game![/sarcasm] ...You're joking, right?

Aw, is the poor baby embaressed to be seen playing The Legend of Zelda in public?

I'm guessing you're one of those "Unless it has guns, strippers, or blood, it's a kiddy game." kind of people...

That's a shame, really.

Also, 90% of the games that are being released for the PSP are simply ports of existing PS2 games, or games that will be simultaneously released on the PSP and PS2. Would you buy the same game twice? Considering they'll be the same price, which would you rather buy? A game to play on your home console with a giant screen and a kickin' sound system, or one to play on a tiny 4-inch screen? Also, the idea of Sony releasing movies on those little UMDs is a complete joke. Who is gonna buy movies on those little things that will only be able to play on the PSP? Kinda reminds me of the DIVX DVDs...

Most of all, I simply don't see the battery life on the PSP being that great. The Game Gear had like a 2-hour battery life on 6 AAs, and the Gameboy had over 10 hours on 4 AAs. The Game Gear was technically superior, but hey, which is still around 10 years later? I think this is is what's going to happen with the PSP. It'll sell well for a little while, but after a year or so people will just give up. Can anyone say N-Gage?

In the end, it's like this. If you want a handheld system that plays great games, great ORIGINAL games, get a Nintendo DS.

If you want a handheld that's 90% flash and no substance, a handheld that's not of much use other than saying "hey look, I'm cool, I have a PSP", get a PSP.

Great Games vs. Great Graphics?

Which would you rather?