Will Quicktime 5 work in Jaguar? DVD Studio Pro MPEG2 encoding is lost with QT 6

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by gopher, Jul 26, 2002.

1. gopher macrumors 65816

One of the key functions of DVD Studio Pro is the ability to convert to MPEG2. Unfortunately when you upgrade to Quicktime 6, that ability is lost. Doesn't matter if you even install over a Quicktime 6 Pro serial number DVD Studio Pro still won't have the convert to Quicktime 6 functionality. From what I can see Apple is selling MPEG2 for Quicktime 6 on their store for $20. It should be included if you purchased DVD Studio Pro after Quicktime 6 was released.

2. gopher thread starter macrumors 65816

I found out it won't be necessary...deinstall Quicktime 6, install DVD Studio Pro, and reinstall Quicktime 6 and the MPEG2 encoder works again.

3. Pepzhez macrumors regular

Apple also states on the FCP product page that QT 6 Pro will not work with the current version of FCP, but gives no details. Does anyone know what about QT 6 doesn't work with FCP? I've tried basic importing and exporting and it still works fine. Strange, that. No one on 2-pop.com seems to know either. I wonder what the problem is? Must be an annoying bug somewhere.

4. keltorsori macrumors regular

No bugs in QT 6 (well there are, but none that are known showstoppers for Final Cut Pro), Apple is just cautious about it being installed on production environments and then later finding a bug. So, they're doing a load of internal testing before certifying it for Final Cut Pro 3.

As far as DVD Studio Pro, I found that if you re-install the MPEG-2 encoder from DVD Studio Pro after you install QuickTime 6, the functionality will be restored.

The MPEG-2 component that Apple is now selling for $20 is a decoder only, no encode (unlike the component that ships with DVDSP).

Hope this helps.

5. keltorsori macrumors regular

QuickTime 5 will not work in Jaguar

One more thing, QuickTime 5 will NOT work in Jaguar. Jaguar ships with an entirely new version of QuickTime 6. If you installed Jaguar and then went to Apple.com and downloaded the QuickTime installer for version 6, it will not install.

The new Jaguar version was only necessary to make it compatible with 10.2, otherwise it is feature identical (it was developed on an identical path as QT 6 for 10.1, 9.2, and Windows)

6. gopher thread starter macrumors 65816

Ah then the question is, if you have the release version of Jaguar (and I mean you got it in the box, no downloaded version mind you as those are not release versions) and installed DVD Studio Pro, would the MPEG2 encoder still come out in Quicktime 6's export function? Because as it was, in Mac OS X 10.1.5, I could not get the MPEG2 encoder to appear in Quicktime 6 player unless I installed DVD Studio Pro over Quicktime 5 and then upgraded to Quicktime 6.