Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
That certainly wouldn't happen in the UK, and I can't see it happening in the US.

How can they prove it wasn't one of their staff opening the phone up on a previous occasion (they don't always make a note of this)?

How can they prove that they didn't put fingerprints on the device when checking it for fingerprints?

It's not CSI: Genius Bar.

People assembling the phones wear gloves for a reason. They have also been able to check for fingerprints at the genius bar.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
People assembling the phones wear gloves for a reason. They have also been able to check for fingerprints at the genius bar.

Even if they do, the warranty does not state that opening an iPhone will invalidate the warranty.

There are two relevant sections of the warranty:

"This warranty does not apply:... (f) to damage caused by service (including upgrades and expansions) performed by anyone who is not a representative of Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (“AASP”);"

"Important: Do not open the hardware product. Opening the hardware product may cause damage that is not covered by this warranty. Only Apple or an AASP should perform service on this hardware product."

Neither of those sections states that opening the product = no warranty.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
Even if they do, the warranty does not state that opening an iPhone will invalidate the warranty.

"This warranty does not apply:... (f) to damage caused by service (including upgrades and expansions) performed by anyone who is not a representative of Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (“AASP”);"

"Important: Do not open the hardware product. Opening the hardware product may cause damage that is not covered by this warranty. Only Apple or an AASP should perform service on this hardware product."

But Apple still has voided warranties simply from people opening the phone. People have posted about in in these forums here.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
You are the one who needs to go back and read what I posted. As I said in my post above, in the past, all Apple had to do was look for fingerprints and they have voided warranties just for that alone.

For all the issues I have ever read about iphones and from my experienceces, they NEVER took them apart. They just confirmed it was an issue and gave you a replacement phone

The most they check is the water sensors

But Apple still has voided warranties simply from people opening the phone. People have posted about in in these forums here.

Link?

jfyrfytr25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2008
And they will know and void the warranty just by looking for fingerprints alone. That's all they need.

who is working at your genius bar? Gil Grissom? Fingerprints, are you serious?

can you provide any proof to back up your monsterous claims?

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010

But if they can prove you opened it and the phone is not functioning properly then they can deduce that the damage was caused by your unauthorized opening of the phone and you wouldn't have much of a defense.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado

All the proof is in the posts on this forum. You'll have to go back and search a bit over the past two years. People have posted about it.

I love the term monsterous. That must be slang for monstrous. :D

milerich

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
The moral of the story is to not jailbreak your iPhone. You jailbreak it you mess it up. You have no one to blame but yourself. Why should Apple repair a phone that is malfunctioning because of unauthorized jail breaking? And don't tell me there's nothing wrong with jail breaking. The vast majority of people who JB their phones do so so they can steal apps. Despicable!

This = wrong

Where is your data to back up these claims?

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
SpaceKitty said:
And they will know and void the warranty just by looking for fingerprints alone. That's all they need.

You do realize you can wipe down everything you touched while having the cover removed, right? That's what I did as there were easily visible fingerprints when I was done reconnecting the battery.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
Blorzoga said:
The moral of the story is to not jailbreak your iPhone. You jailbreak it you mess it up. You have no one to blame but yourself. Why should Apple repair a phone that is malfunctioning because of unauthorized jail breaking? And don't tell me there's nothing wrong with jail breaking. The vast majority of people who JB their phones do so so they can steal apps. Despicable!

What a joke.

My problem wasn't caused by a jailbreak. Do a search online and see that people have had the same problem from day 1 with the iPhone 4, has nothing to do with the jailbreak.

And really? Jailbreaking is just about stealing apps? What about SBSettings that I have so I have quick access to settings? What about Activator so I can now have the him button pull up my phone when double tapping instead of the multitasking apps? Or iSmartDialer for speed dialing?

All about stealing apps huh?

VelfarreClubber

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2008
Fullerton, CA

LOL love the Grissom comment!!

on another note, it is sooo easy to replace the ip4 battery check out ifixit.com and if your worried about finger prints wear some damn gloves!

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006

As a matter of fact, Federal law (The Magnuson-Moss Act) states, in no uncertain terms, that no warranty can be invalidated due to the simple fact that a 3rd party provided service or replacement parts on a consumer product.

The warranty provider must prove (to a federal commission) that actual damage was done as a consequence of the use of 3rd party service or replacement parts.

warrmr

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
I know that there is a certain brand of laptops (Acer) that coat the internals of the laptop in a electrostatic silver coating. That if you touch it you will leave a very visable fingerprint. if you then try to rub that fingerprint off you take the coating with it. They even put this coating under the RAM and HDD access doors to prevent tampering.

I wouldent put it past apple putting a similar coating on the internals of the iPhone ( I have never and will not dissasemble my iPhone unless the warentee is out. So am only speculating about the coating inside the phone.

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
I know that there is a certain brand of laptops (Acer) that coat the internals of the laptop in a electrostatic silver coating. That if you touch it you will leave a very visable fingerprint. if you then try to rub that fingerprint off you take the coating with it. They even put this coating under the RAM and HDD access doors to prevent tampering.
And, if they used such a coating as the sole grounds to void warranty protection, without other evidence of damage, then they'd be violating federal law. (See above.) Regardless of any language to the contrary that may be in their warranty agreement document.

warrmr

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
And, if they used such a coating as the sole grounds to void warranty protection, without other evidence of damage, then they'd be violating federal law. (See above.) Regardless of any language to the contrary that may be in their warranty agreement document.

Now what is to stop the person doing the warranty repair removing the case noted that the device has been "tampered" with. Then putting a small nick in the PCB with a screwdriver and then blaming the 3rd party service center and using that as a reason not to honour the warranty.

Once again I am not suguessting that companies do this but its more of a what if situation as repairs under warrenty cost the company money not the consumer.

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
Now what is to stop the person doing the warranty repair removing the case noted that the device has been "tampered" with. Then putting a small nick in the PCB with a screwdriver and then blaming the 3rd party service center and using that as a reason not to honour the warranty.

Once again I am not suguessting that companies do this but its more of a what if situation as repairs under warrenty cost the company money not the consumer.

I guess in that case, the best thing you can do to protect yourself is to fully document the exact state of the device before you've sent it in, to serve as evidence that any subsequent damage must have been unrelated to the previous 3rd party service provider's actions.

Sherifftruman

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
LOL love the Grissom comment!!

on another note, it is sooo easy to replace the ip4 battery check out ifixit.com and if your worried about finger prints wear some damn gloves!

So, the lesson today kids, is wear gloves or be careful when you open your phone.

As a matter of fact, Federal law (The Magnuson-Moss Act) states, in no uncertain terms, that no warranty can be invalidated due to the simple fact that a 3rd party provided service or replacement parts on a consumer product.

The warranty provider must prove (to a federal commission) that actual damage was done as a consequence of the use of 3rd party service or replacement parts.

This is true, but having hung around on some car forums for some time, it is not cut and dried in practice. If they insist on denying your warrantee, you can complain and cite MM as much as you want, but you will have to potentially bring suit against them to get anything to happen. If you are dealing with a $8,000 blown engine, it is worth it, but a phone that costs at most $699 you will spend as much on a lawyer.

jfyrfytr25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2008
All the proof is in the posts on this forum. You'll have to go back and search a bit over the past two years. People have posted about it.

I love the term monsterous. That must be slang for monstrous. :D

Yes, YEs, YES.... point out my spelling infraction. You people that boast these insanely ignorant comments often resort to pointing out spelling and grammer mistakes when you have been called out to provide some proof of your nonsense.

Telling me to look back on 2 years of posts is not only an easy way to skirt my question, but is an empty example as I would not take ANYTHING posted on these forums as PROOF of anything. this place is often filled with opinion and interpretation instead of actual, factual information. I have provided you with the exact wording that is in the warranty for the iP4. as well as pointed out the exact phrase that proves that only "IF" damage is done by opening up the device is it not covered. nothing in the wording of the warranty states anything saying the mere act of opening the case is grounds to void the warranty. I further this by stating that the Macbook Pro uses the SAME wording in it's warranty guide and I think we all would agree that opening the MBP case does not void the warranty seeing as they show you how to do it int he owners manual.

Give me some hard proof and I will change my tune. And I mean Proof, not a "Apple refused to fix my phone becasue I took it apart" thread because we do not know all the facts in these cases. Most disgruntled apple post leave out certain parts of the story that make that poster look bad.

wjanoch

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2007
Montana
My warranty IS VOID. I broke it while open.

I have provided you with the exact wording that is in the warranty for the iP4. as well as pointed out the exact phrase that proves that only "IF" damage is done by opening up the device is it not covered.

My iPhone also vibrated and wouldn't reboot/respond to button presses and button combinations. I unhooked the battery, rehooked it, all was well.

Then a week later it took a swim in a pool for maybe 5 seconds. I shut it off as I ran to my office. I had the back off and battery unplugged in 30 sec. I blew as much water out as possible and let it dry for 3 days. (Seems to get overly warm/hot now.) :confused:

To my surprise, the battery connector broke off from the motherboard as I plugged it back in. DAMAGE DONE BY OPENING THE CASE. Not covered. Warranty void. $699 for 32 Gig replacement per Apple Support Supervisor.:eek:

This connector is held on only by the 4 surface mount solder joints (tiny). You mess with it, you're going to break it. Water damage is a $200 fix by Apple.:eek:

Yeah, and if I hold the connector just right, it boots up. I synced/backed up my photos/data, and through MobileMe I wiped it (as a precaution). The gap beside the connector is too small for a cheap soldering iron to fit, and I no longer have access to an expensive soldering iron for the surface mount work I used to do.

Now I'm looking at $499 early upgrade with ATT which restarts my 2 yr contract, so if Apple releases iPhone in June 2012, my contract won't end until Aug so maybe I'll have an early upgrade fee.

Maybe I can add another line for $200 iphone + ($10 * 24 months) = $440, then get a replacement SIM for my old iPhone 3GS (old SIM can't be reactiveated per ATT), and have two working phones. Living in the middle of Montana, using Partner Networks unless I'm traveling, it's 18 hr drive to the nearest Apple Store, 5 hr to the ATT Store. Time for a road trip.

The good news is that water damaged iPhones are fetching over $500 on ebay still, so I might break even, after shipping costs, if I act quickly.

euvix

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2011
I got my iPhone 4 yesterday, and one of the Terms of Agreement that I had to accept was that I will not jailbreak my iPhone because it will void my warranty.

I should have asked the guy if they can find out if I jailbreak my iPhone if I do a restore before I bring it in (not unlocking or changing the modem firmware). I jailbroke my first 3 iPhone and always did a restore and they never said a word, so I found it weird that this is now a Terms of Agreement.

But can they run a diagnostics and find a trace that it was Jailbroken?

If you do a complete restore, there is absolutely no way to tell whether or not it was jailbroken, unless, ironically, you jailbreak it again. But even apples software testing can't tell. I know this from first hand experience :)

kansasdrums

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2011
Kansas
Ive always wondered if it voided your warranty. also, the screws are really small on the iPhone 4s so if you strip them it would be OBVIOUS that you took off the backing

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.