Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

graubereich

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
Has anyone suggestions if ROSETTA will be available in 10.7 Lion?

I'm using an old software daily which needs rosetta to run on Snow Leopard.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Nobody knows for sure, but I would guess that they will keep it as an optional install. There's no real reason for them to get rid of it. My guess is it stays around as an optional install until computers are powerful enough that any PPC only software can be run on 10.5 in a virtual machine.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
No optional install for sure?

Pretty sure. When you try and run a Java app for the first time, it offers you an optional java install. When you try and run a rosetta app you just get the following message:

"You can't open the application ApplicationName because PowerPC applications are no longer supported"

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
Pretty sure. When you try and run a Java app for the first time, it offers you an optional java install. When you try and run a rosetta app you just get the following message:

"You can't open the application ApplicationName because PowerPC applications are no longer supported"

Did you try to install Rosetta from the Snow Leopard DVD:
/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/Rosetta.pkg

???

I know it needs probably kernel support.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Did you try to install Rosetta from the Snow Leopard DVD:
/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/Rosetta.pkg

???

I know it needs probably kernel support.

Rosetta installed without any errors, but it still gives the same error trying to start up a PowerPC application

graubereich

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
Hm, do you think in the Final Version there will be any Chance or Trick?
I have tons of freehand Files and still like to work with it......

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Aren't there alternatives to those apps? What apps are they?

Mac the Ripper and Dropbook are two that I noticed. To be honest, I didn't even know they were PowerPC apps until Lion refused to run them :)

I don't tend to use Mac The Ripper nowadays as I normally buy media through the iTunes store now, but Dropbook is useful when converting ebooks from one format to another

parkds

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2003
This is also an issue for Nikon scanners. Nikon Scan 4 was the last version developed. There is other scanning software out there that knows how to utilize the ICE, GEM, ROC, and DEE features of the scanners, but as far as I know they are very expensive.

graubereich

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
How are your opinions - any chances that apple only disabled rosetta in the beta stadium of lion?

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
How are your opinions - any chances that apple only disabled rosetta in the beta stadium of lion?
My guess is that it would be included from the get-go...

All good things must come to and end; the death of Rosetta might prompt new software development, resulting in additional functionality and better programs (to replace the ones that are no longer supported in Lion).

graubereich

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011

jsalzer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
ClarisWorks/AppleWorks Viewer

All good things must come to and end; the death of Rosetta might prompt new software development, resulting in additional functionality and better programs (to replace the ones that are no longer supported in Lion).

I don't suppose it will prompt Apple to release a CW/AW viewer, or even add the capacity for Preview to open them for viewing purposes.

Oh, well. Guess it's time to figure out a way to open and print to PDF a few thousand old files for reference purposes. Anyone have a trick for doing this in bulk?

:)

Graeme43

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2006
Great Britain (Glasgow)
Programs like Spy (OSX) from the Mac OS 9 area which I put the bracket on because they made an OS 10 version and there is no way it will be updated but I will give you guys a demonstration of what it does - if you visit here - http://109.154.208.78:2011/ - it will show my desktop and some info beside it (Until my IP changes lol).. I will lose this with 10.7 as it isn't going to be unavailble to me :(

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
Mac the Ripper and Dropbook are two that I noticed. To be honest, I didn't even know they were PowerPC apps until Lion refused to run them :)

I don't tend to use Mac The Ripper nowadays as I normally buy media through the iTunes store now, but Dropbook is useful when converting ebooks from one format to another

I too didn't know that Mac the Ripper was a PowerPC app and required Rosetta. Hopefully it finally gets updated and/or something else comes to my attention that will perform the same tasks (although there isn't much else out there right now). Mac the Ripper + Handbrake was a very powerful toolset for DVD ripping.

newfoundglory

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
Thanks for the link.
I hope this tatement in this duscussion has a achance:
I would guess (purely speculate) that there will soon be an unofficial way to install rosetta. Someone will determine which kexts etc. are needed to run rosetta and then you'll be able to copy those over from an OS X 10.6 install. Just guessing, but I can't see why it wouldn't happen.

I haven't tried installing Rosetta in Lion, but to me it sounds like at the moment Lion is simply asking itself the question "is this a PowerPC application?". If yes, just fail. Doesn't sound like its even loading the extensions, but someone should check in Console for errors. There may be nothing wrong with Rosetta kext's, because Rosetta already previously worked in Snow Leopard with the 64bit kernel.

An example where things aren't quite so sunny.... I tried to bring native read/write ZFS support to Lion using the binaries from Snow Leopard beta 10a286. But, it fails because of the 64 bit kernel, and expects symbols in libkern which aren't present. As such, Lion can't load the extensions. It should be possible to get ZFS working by applying a patch for the missing symbols and re-compiling libkern from xnu sources (which worked for SL builds 10.6.1 and beyond).

I predict no Rosetta support in Lion GM build... because Apple has been shipping Intel Macs for over 5 years..... thats half a decade....

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.