Will Safari updates always wait for a new OS?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jackc, Jul 15, 2004.

1. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

I know there will be some minor updates between releases, but unless I'm mistaken, they're not really for new features. It seems like Safari is going to be left behind by Firefox and maybe some others (I already switched to Firefox as my default browser, but I still like Safari). Maybe that will change after Tiger, when OS updates take longer?

2. King Cobra macrumors 603

Safari was updated to 1.2.2 through the Mac OS X 10.3.4 update, probably to fix Safari bugs. So IF you seriously depend on Safari for your web browser, then you should have been running 10.3.4 before you finished reading the rest of this post. [​IMG]

3. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Safari 1.3 looks to have some pretty significant improvements in speed adn Javascript support. Not entirely sure what you mean by new features. Each update I have seen has added something besides the usual bug fixes. The last update added things like full keyboard support, etc.

If you mean new features like the RSS stuff they talked about with Tiger than yeah, those will probably wait for major releases.

On a side note, what features in FireFox do you find so much better. I generally find the two fairly comparable.

4. jackc thread starter macrumors 65816

jackc

Some features off the top of my head that I like: The Google toolbar (esp. highlighting multiple search terms), keyboard shortcuts for bookmarks, find-as-you-type, adding extra right-click functionality (dictionary, encyclopedia search, etc.), ability to turn off dialog boxes for error messages (as one example of small things you can customize)

5. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Thanks for the reply. I like the idea of keyboard shortcuts for bookmarks. Sounds very useful.

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Safari has a similar feature, but it only works for links in the bookmarks bar and only the first 9 links. Basically, you press Command+# to access link # in Safari's bookmarks bar (only when Safari is open and active).

7. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Can you do it with groups of bookmarks (eg command-3 opens up the group in tabs)? because that would actually be more useful to me. i do a lot of my browsing by groups.

8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Unless you can put a group in the bookmarks bar, my guess is no you cannot. I haven't experimented with it much (and I'm not at my Mac).

9. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Yeah, you can put folders in the bookmark bar. I am also not at my mac or i would try it out. Definitely will try it when I get home though.

10. jackc thread starter macrumors 65816

jackc

To clarify, I should have said keyword shortcuts instead of keyboard. In Firefox, you can set, for example, Amazon.com to "am" and then just type that into the location bar. It's a nice feature.

11. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

That is pretty cool. I should play with FireFox more. I use it at work on the PC, but just mostly use the basic setup.

12. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I just switched to Firefox on my Windows PC. I still use Safari on my Mac.