Will Spotlight import Sherlock's Indexes ???

Discussion in 'macOS' started by BilduKat, Apr 20, 2005.

1. BilduKat macrumors newbie

If I have already indexed my drive for searching with Sherlock will Spotlight use that information to update itself during the upgrade?
    Or will it index the hard drive from scratch?

My system isn't the fastest around and indexing for 6 hours during or just after the install is just nasty !

I'm hoping that indexing with Sherlock NOW will speed up teh indexing process when I update to Tiger.

Any thoughts???

2. GodBless macrumors 65816

GodBless

I don't know what version of Mac OS you are using but Sherlock doesn't any longer search for files. That feature has been long gone -- 10.1 or before who knows maybe the Sherlock feature is from OS 9. Why not reindex your hard drive when Tiger comes out? If you don't index it then then you won't have Spotlight indexing, instead you will have cheap and slow Sherlock indexing. It only takes 30min. to an hour probably at the most with Spotlight to index. It does it automatically when just after you first install Tiger.

It sounds like you have an old system. You will like the advancements of Tiger.

God Bless.

3. Androit macrumors member

Spotlight will have to reindex, but it sounds like its tons faster, so I wouldn't worry about it.