Will the 12" PB get a big GPU upgrade?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by McGuillicuddy, Nov 25, 2004.

  1. McGuillicuddy macrumors newbie

    Nov 25, 2004
    Cambridge, UK
    With the impending Q1 2004 update that we expect for the PBs, the only thing that is keeping me from pulling the trigger on a 12" PB tomorrow is the possibility that the updated version will have a significantly more powerful graphics card. A PB with an updated GPU would be a very versatile machine.

    Do any of you Mac experts see a 128Mb MR 9700 (or better!?) making its way to the 12" PB in the next update, or do you think it will just be a CPU speed bump? Any thoughts?
  2. cluthz macrumors 68040


    Jun 15, 2004
    The Powerbooks will be updated soon, and hopefully a new GPU in the 12".
    The PB won't have a ATI chips in it since apple usually has mixed with both nVidia and ATI. If the new FX6200 mobility is ready we will maybe have it in the powerbook.
    Apple need to do something to separate the powerbook more from the ibook, and if the pb's only get a slight speed bump many will get a ibook instead of a powerbook.
  3. markh macrumors member

    Apr 15, 2004
    Canberra, Australia

    Based on what? Until they are announced, we really have no idea what will be happening to the Powerbook like. Personally, you coul dbe waiting for ever for a "new updated" product and never actually buy :D If you want a 12" PB, go and buy one :)
  4. spaceballl macrumors 68030


    Nov 2, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    The PBs are due for an update. I have no idea whether or not the system is ready for the G5 (or whether there's a G5 ready for it). however, considering how the 12" PB GPU is really not much better than the iBook's 9200 chip, I would definitely see Apple putting a better chip in there. however, I'm not sure if they will increase VRAM on the 12" model or not. Time will tell. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if the next 12" PB got more of a complete redesign w/ a 13" widescreen instead.
  5. cluthz macrumors 68040


    Jun 15, 2004
    Since the powerbooks wa updated in April and well overdue normal update cyclus. I would have waited untill MWSF (10-15(?) January) before I decided to buy it..
  6. Diatribe macrumors 601


    Jan 8, 2004
    Back in the motherland
    Ati just announced the x300 and x800 mobility. The x800 has even 256MB RAM. I'm hoping for those in the PBs.
    My thoughts for MWSF and the PBs:

    - x300/x800/GeF6200 GPU
    - announced G4 2,0 GHz CPU or G5 mobile
    - 100 GB HD
    - 8x DVD-R/4x DVD-RW/2x Dual-Layer DVD-R

    Not so sure:

    - 12" to go 13,3"
    - PC-Card slot
    - Backlit keyboard

    I would definitely wait. If they manage to get all of the above in I will buy a new PB the second it appears in the store.

Share This Page