Will the 17" iMac do what I want it to?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by coopdig, Feb 29, 2004.

1. coopdig macrumors member

Feb 29, 2004
    Hi! I'm thinking very seriously about getting a 17" iMac (; my only problem being that I'm not really sure that it would be able to do what I would like it to.

I would really like it to be able to run Garageband w/o any noticeable hassles/lag-time. And, although I'm not at all a serious gamer, I would really like it to run Simcity 4 reasonably well.

Has anyone had any experience w/ either of these programs (or similar ones) on the 17" iMac? If needs be, I can potentially wait for the next revision... but I don't want to!! :p
  2. Opteron macrumors 6502

Feb 10, 2004
    South Australia
    Just remember this.
    The iMac is an expencive computer, much of the cost however goesinto the screen. One day down the line when you will want a replacement and will have to buy a new screen and dispose/sell/etc the other screen and computer.

Personally I'd get a Dual PMG4, and a 19" flat CRT. Save that I'd wait until the G5 is slaped in the imac. might take a while but will be well worth the wait.
  3. Italchef macrumors 6502

Nov 3, 2003
    Maple, Ontario
    Garageband runs very well on mine but I don't know about Simcity. I can tell you that I have the same machine and I love it! Don't second guess yourself and once you've decided on a model, just get it and don't look back. The computer industry is always progressing and you could wait forever for the next revision. Make a decision, go with it and don't look back and you'll never be sorry.

4. crkfc macrumors member

Nov 11, 2003
    i'd wait for the next revision but i would definitely go with the 17" iMac. it's an awesome machine. my girlfriend just got one and i'm jealous. i have the original 15" w/SuperDrive. Her computer runs GarageBand fairly well and i've played SimCity 4 on my computer without any problems. I would imagine it will run pretty smoothly on the 17". If you cant wait, go ahead and get the current one but if you can, hold off for the next rev. it may not be too much better but it'll at least be speed bumped. either way, you're gonna get a kick ass machine.

if space isnt an issue, i might agree with the person who said to get a PowerMac G4 and a CRT monitor. we go to college and have a small amount of space to work with.

in conclusion, lots of space = PMG4, little space = iMac 17"
  5. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

Feb 4, 2003
    New HAMpshire
    This is true, but remeber this: Your resale value will help get some of your money back and who wants to use the same screen for more than 3-5 years? I know I don't. If I was I would be using a crappy CRT that was about 13" in viewable. In 3-5 years (avg. resale of macs) there will be bigger, better, cheaper screens out there.

I love my iMac 17" superdrive 1ghz...was refurb for only $1299!

Figure I will be able to sell it for more than half of that in 2-3 years and upgrade yet again.