Will the 17" Powerbook make me look like an idiot?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Rob587, Jul 24, 2004.

1. Rob587 macrumors 6502a

Rob587

I will be attending college shortly and taking a 17" powerbook to class would be no problem..(I dont care about portability, lol) but would I look like a wierdo if I sat down in class and opened up a 17" powerbook? Im going to need it to be a desktop replacement while im in college so I really dont want to sacrafice to a smaller sceen size. What do you guys think?

2. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

Remember, it is all about personal preference. I personally do not like the 17" PBook (then again I haven't ever had the pleasure of owning one...so who am I?) I knew a guy last year that took his 17" Pbook to every class that he was in, even the Computer Lab.

Besides think of it this way, you have the laptop that eats others for breakfast.

Mike

3. TreeHugger macrumors 6502

No it will not.

It will make PC users look like idiots though ;-)

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Re: Will the 17" Powerbook make me look like an idiot?

A mirror test will probably tell you much quicker than the forum here will about that question. :p

It'll all depend on which one you'll feel more comfortable carrying around all the time, because you can always get a bigger external monitor for those time you sit down at home for the 15" PB -- but it's real hard to make a 17" PB smaller.

5. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

Nah just use a saw...a bandsaw at that!

6. Seanb23 macrumors member

Ahem, not until Apple fits a fast processor into it, it won't. I like my 17" PB just fine for what it is...a beautiful, reliable, well built machine with the best OS on the planet...but a fast laptop it is not. Check out comparably priced peecee laptops with M chips or AMD 64s if you want to see FAST. Of course, the owners of these machines are stuck with XP, and therein lies the problem.

Now, why, oh why is it that Apple will not allow us to run OS X on something in that league in a laptop ? Though I will concede that the news about the dual core IBM CPUs is good...

7. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

Man if they did that, half my problems would be solved.

Mike

8. smurfsgonewild macrumors member

Heck no man. It'll make you the king of the laptop world in that class. All the mac owners will come to your side and the windows users shall bow before you. They know who their master is. Just scared to admit it. Been a mac user for all of a two days and I have seen the light. Really, if I would have had the money for a 17" pbook, I would have been all over that. But if somebody does think you look stupid. Just stare at the might of your big ole' computer and that'll make it all worth it.

9. Megaquad macrumors 6502a

I have 15" one, and.. more screen would be nicer but I'm not sure I'd like lack of portability and looking like a weirdo slightly. I mean 17" it's great but it would draw too much attention... Don't know.

10. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

11. the future macrumors 6502a

Max out the RAM. It makes all the difference in the world.

12. thejazzman10 Guest

13. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

I guess speed is relative because I certainly have no complaints with the speed of mine. I've never owned anything electronic in my life that is more of a conversation starter and that gets more envious stares than my 17" PowerBook. Granted, that's not what I bought it for, but it's like what a PC using friend said to me recently..."wow, that has to be the finest notebook on earth, I've never seen anything like it." That pretty much says it all.

14. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

For taking to classes and such I'd go the route of a 12/15" PB and and external CRT/LCD in your room to hook it up to.

15. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Increase the Ram-a-Mhz. It will feel like a PB G5.

16. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

I dont see the need to take it to class, but thats just me

17. TreeHugger macrumors 6502

The 17 inch is about one inch deeper and one inch wider than the 15 inch and only 1.2 pounds heavier. This slight difference will not make you look like an idiot.
    But in the end, you have to get whatever you will be comfortable with.

18. ifjake macrumors 6502a

i think you should go to an applestore somewhere and take a look at them. the 15 inch has the same kind of widescreen aspect ratio that makes it feel bigger than it actually is. plus you'd have a few dollars more than you would buying the 17 inch to max out on what needs maxing out. but get your hands on them to see what feels right.

19. kirk26 macrumors 6502a

kirk26

Yes

20. 18thTomorrow macrumors 6502

One of the most important reasons I just bought my iBook is the ability to take it to class and use it for notetaking. I type much faster than I write and I can be a lot more organized with the iBook than I could with a bunch of spiral notebooks. It's also a lot easier to share notes with other classmates if I can just give them a printout, rather than having to photocopy my notebook or something...

but that's just me.

21. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

That is the exact reason why I bought my iBook.

Mike

22. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

You mean peecee owners with AMD 64s and laptops that are 2 and a half inch thick, and two hours of battery life? Compared to our powerbooks that are as fast as the centrinos, get as good battery life, and to top it off are only one inch thick?

Sure, not the fastest, but definitely the most portable.

23. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Think twice about the size of the 17". Some colleges have small desks, and the 17" will out size many of them. That is why I think the PB 12" is so sweet.

24. papersushi macrumors regular

I have a 17'' PowerBook and I take it to work and coffee shop almost everyday. I can tell you that unless you need to bring it with you ride subway in NYC or SF everyday, its not a big deal. Remember actually 17'' PowerBook is almost 2 pounds lighter than most 15'' Dell Inspiron laptops.

When you pull out your 17'' PowerBook, the only thing you get from others will be the "wow factor". You will be surprised how many people will engage a conversation with you when they see the 17'' PowerBook.

If someone will be looked like an idiot will be the person who sitting next to you holding a plastic 3 inches thick PC laptop.

17'' PowerBook won't let you down I can ensure you.

25. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

I don't think so. I'm sure some people will look at you like your a wierdo for bring a "big" machine to class. But then once they start looking at it they'll be like "damn, that is sexy!" I wouldn't worry too much about it.